Contribute
Register

Yosemite & TRIM (Clover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to enable TRIM support w/ the Clover method, it didn't work as expected... and I think I found out why... It appears that my board, a GA-G41M-ES2L, either doesn't support AHCI or perhaps it supports it in a wonky/nonstandard way.

Below is a screenshot of how the System Information appears, wrt. SATA. A casual glance will show that it looks "strange"... and stuff doesn't look like a 'normal' setup.

Any ideas out there would be helpful. I feel that I have exhausted all possible configurations of BIOS... notably AHCI is not mentioned explicitly in BIOS, though some sites imply that it is available, perhaps in the Enhanced SATA mode.

Could this be just a case of a deficient DSDT.aml?

Is there a way to force/emulate AHCI with Clover?

Attachments

• SATA_Info_on_GA-G41M-ES2L.jpg
    SATA_Info_on_GA-G41M-ES2L.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 610
I went to enable TRIM support w/ the Clover method, it didn't work as expected... and I think I found out why... It appears that my board, a GA-G41M-ES2L, either doesn't support AHCI or perhaps it supports it in a wonky/nonstandard way.

Below is a screenshot of how the System Information appears, wrt. SATA. A casual glance will show that it looks "strange"... and stuff doesn't look like a 'normal' setup.

Any ideas out there would be helpful. I feel that I have exhausted all possible configurations of BIOS... notably AHCI is not mentioned explicitly in BIOS, though some sites imply that it is available, perhaps in the Enhanced SATA mode.

Could this be just a case of a deficient DSDT.aml?

Is there a way to force/emulate AHCI with Clover?

Hi,

Try applying the FixSATA fix in your config.plist (recommend using Clover Configurator) see if that works.

Cheers!

If your board didn't have AHCI you wouldn't even be able to boot OSX. This works for me, just copy the line that says "TRIM Patch" (ignore everything else) in this screen shot and you should be good to go. Here's the numbers and text to save you time and possible entry errors. :)

IOAHCIBlockStorage
004150504C452053534400

Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-11-24 12.52.45.png
    Screenshot 2014-11-24 12.52.45.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 1,813
@ clipper99 : Thanks, but I've already tried all three known (mentioned/documented) values for the TRIM patch in Clover. I'd already checked to see that I had the correct HEX values listed in this thread (wrt the bug in Clover Configurator that seems to garble the values if input directly via Clov Configurator). I manually entered them w/ TextWrangler (BBEdit).

@ GuyWhoIsBored : Also thanks, I'd already tried that but I'm not sure that I understand how to enable this patch, beyond checking the box in the GUI of Clov Configurator. I know that checking the box creates a block in the config.plist, but it is my understanding that some sort of values need to go in the window above ... ? I've researched this a bit, but haven't found any guide or hints on how to enable it, or even if it is the correct strategy to fix my situation.

@ clipper99 : Thanks, but I've already tried all three known (mentioned/documented) values for the TRIM patch in Clover. I'd already checked to see that I had the correct HEX values listed in this thread (wrt the bug in Clover Configurator that seems to garble the values if input directly via Clov Configurator). I manually entered them w/ TextWrangler (BBEdit).

@ GuyWhoIsBored : Also thanks, I'd already tried that but I'm not sure that I understand how to enable this patch, beyond checking the box in the GUI of Clov Configurator. I know that checking the box creates a block in the config.plist, but it is my understanding that some sort of values need to go in the window above ... ? I've researched this a bit, but haven't found any guide or hints on how to enable it, or even if it is the correct strategy to fix my situation.

Hi,

If you entered the TRIM hex values manually via TextWrangler you won't get a TRIM patch, because the values in the config.plist are in base64. You only can input values that are hex in Clover Configurator, and then it automatically converts it into base64 when you save the plist in Clover Configurator. So try inputting the hex values manually in Clover Configurator or convert the hex values into base64 and manually input them.

Cheers!

Yes, that's actually what I did. I just did it all manually, and checked it against everyone else's manual listings. I did understand the distinction between the different base representations of the values.

If you look at the System Info in my original post, you'll see what the issue is. It looks like my SATA profile is basically blank (compare it to yours on your Hack, if you'd like). Your profile will probably say something like: Intel Series 6 Chipset. From my research, the word seems to be that GA-G41M mobos have either no AHCI support, or a non-standard form of AHCI support.

Using MaciASL.app, I see that in the DSDT in my all my other Hackintoshes (H61N-USB3, HP 4530s, EP45-UD3L, etc.) have a block in them beginning with:
Device (SATA), or at least very similar to that...

In the DSDT's that I've found for G41M-ES2L, there is no such block, only a:
Device (IDE1)

It looks like I may be checking this into the DSDT subforum, if no one here can solve this.

Yes, that's actually what I did. I just did it all manually, and checked it against everyone else's manual listings. I did understand the distinction between the different base representations of the values.

If you look at the System Info in my original post, you'll see what the issue is. It looks like my SATA profile is basically blank (compare it to yours on your Hack, if you'd like). Your profile will probably say something like: Intel Series 6 Chipset. From my research, the word seems to be that GA-G41M mobos have either no AHCI support, or a non-standard form of AHCI support.

Using MaciASL.app, I see that in the DSDT in my all my other Hackintoshes (H61N-USB3, HP 4530s, EP45-UD3L, etc.) have a block in them beginning with:
Device (SATA), or at least very similar to that...

In the DSDT's that I've found for G41M-ES2L, there is no such block, only a:
Device (IDE1)

It looks like I may be checking this into the DSDT subforum, if no one here can solve this.

Interesting. Can you post the DSDT you use to boot? I want to look into this. You probably can solve it yourself if you replace Device (IDE1) with Device (SATA) and then fix all of the dependencies. Also can you post a picture of DPCIManager > PCIList? If your storage controller isn't in that list then this is a bigger problem...

Cheers!

An update here:

When I checked in my DSDT, there's no SATA method either and only a IDE0 and IDE1 method, which is very interesting since my drives still work and they're all recognized properly.

Thanks for your responses... I will post them tomorrow...

But for the time being, what does your System Information > SATA have listed as the chipset? Is it empty, with just a blank line above the drive? (see my pict from original post)

And if you have an SSD, are you sure that TRIM is enabled?

FWIW, i've done hours of research & reading today, and folks like me w/ ICH7 have noted this problem w/ TRIM for years... one of them found a way to patch DSDT, but unfortunately left no trail (not even bread crumbs) to follow...

Thanks for your responses... I will post them tomorrow...

But for the time being, what does your System Information > SATA have listed as the chipset? Is it empty, with just a blank line above the drive? (see my pict from original post)

And if you have an SSD, are you sure that TRIM is enabled?

FWIW, i've done hours of research & reading today, and folks like me w/ ICH7 have noted this problem w/ TRIM for years... one of them found a way to patch DSDT, but unfortunately left no trail (not even bread crumbs) to follow...

Sure, here's a picture...

View attachment Untitled.tiff

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back