1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. iMac
  4. Performa
  5. Plus
  6. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so I did a dumb thing, I saw that apple had a new security update available (2015-004) and did a quick search and found a report it was working fine on Hackintosh. Since relatively minor updates like this have worked fairly well for me in the past, I went ahead and updated. After rebooting the graphics performance is terrible and I received a message that my Nvidia drivers aren't compatible and I need to wait for updates.

I have a GTX 970 that has been working fairly well after I got the web drivers to work.

So, am I kinda out of luck until Nvidia updates their driver? How long of a wait am I likely in for? Is there any easy temporary solutions?

I also rebooted once more in hopes that maybe it would help and now I get the spinning beach ball immediately after login. Any ideas on what may have happened there?

Same here...

Nvidia won't update i think... we will have to move to El Capitain.

I have just done the same thing...
Didn't see it as a major update, and didn't check online to make sure the update was ok, as it is still the same OS X version.

So am I right in thinking there is no quick windows style fix, i.e. system restore/ just rollback/uninstall the update?

and are you guys saying that nvidia will never release an update to the drivers?

so solutions are:
1 fresh reinstall of Yos and don't update it, or
2 install El Cap (which I really don't want to do, I managed to get a working install of El Cap on release but clover is way over my head atm)

edit: ok my quickest and easiest solution I have just done, which was to clean install Yosemite, go to the app store and update everything except the culprit security update, and turn off automatic updates.

So, I am assuming that I can just avoid that update, but this will prevent me from installing any future security updates? I can live with it for the time being until I get my head around clover. Kind of a hackintosh noob but I've learnt enough that I can have it back up and running with no lossage in about an hour. just have to reinstall everything

I had the same problem, I installed the security update on my SSD. Fortunately I have a hard drive clone. So I booted from the hard drive clone instead of my SSD and use Carbon Copy Cloner to restore all of my data except Users folder. Then I boot from my SSD without any problems. I have to install updates from App Store again, I won't install the security update this time. :) Good luck, guys if you have cloned your hard drive before you install Major/Minor updates from Apple.

And for those who don't want to downgrade the driver, editing the info.plist in S/L/E/NVDAStartupweb.kext as you can see in neofusion's link with

<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>14F1021</string>

did the trick for me on 10.10.5

And for those who don't want to downgrade the driver, editing the info.plist in S/L/E/NVDAStartupweb.kext as you can see in neofusion's link with

<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>14F1021</string>

did the trick for me on 10.10.5
I tried this fix for a client I helped build a Hackintosh (970), but it didn't work after using Kext Utility and the terminal kext commands with kext-dev-mode enabled. On to installing the beta drivers now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back