Contribute
Register

X58A-UD3R DSDT from Database

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaDxCrEaM said:
Okay, I used nullspots dsdt located here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220199&st=20&p=1489102&# and goto post 33. I also added
Code:
<key>DropSSDT</key>
    <string>yes</string>
    <key>SMproductname</key>
    <string>MacPro4,1</string>
to my com.apple.Boot.plist. Now my score is 13487 compared to the low score earlier. This makes me feel really good, but does this really mean anything usage wise? Is computer actually running faster now using OSX? Thanks for any info.
I looked at that DSDT and see some issues with it.

1) It has CPU information coded in it. That is fine if you have the same model of CPU, if you don't it could damage yours.
2) Unlike the DSDT's in the database, this does not edit device names to match a real Mac.
3) Some of the edits are unnecessary as he never took into account or read the code changes Gigabyte introduced when they added AMAC AKA Darwin support.
4) A lot of the values in the DSDT differ from a clean extract of FB and should be questioned.

What CPU are you using? What is the clock rate? How much RAM and what speed? What BIOS settings are you using for CPU features? All of these setting will effect Geekbench Scores.

MacMan said:
MaDxCrEaM said:
Okay, I used nullspots dsdt located here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220199&st=20&p=1489102&# and goto post 33. I also added
Code:
<key>DropSSDT</key>
    <string>yes</string>
    <key>SMproductname</key>
    <string>MacPro4,1</string>
to my com.apple.Boot.plist. Now my score is 13487 compared to the low score earlier. This makes me feel really good, but does this really mean anything usage wise? Is computer actually running faster now using OSX? Thanks for any info.
I looked at that DSDT and see some issues with it.

1) It has CPU information coded in it. That is fine if you have the same model of CPU, if you don't it could damage yours.
2) Unlike the DSDT's in the database, this does not edit device names to match a real Mac.
3) Some of the edits are unnecessary as he never took into account or read the code changes Gigabyte introduced when they added AMAC AKA Darwin support.
4) A lot of the values in the DSDT differ from a clean extract of FB and should be questioned.

What CPU are you using? What is the clock rate? How much RAM and what speed? What BIOS settings are you using for CPU features? All of these setting will effect Geekbench Scores.

I'm using the I7 930. Running it at 4.01 using 191x21. I have 6 gigs ram running at 1528 Frequency.CPU settings are : Turbo Disabled, Cores All, Multi Enabled, Bi-Directional Prochot Enabled, other settings on the that page disabled. What do you think?

I built the CustoMac Pro X58A-UD3R-2.0 using FB bios and same hardware.

MacMan, I don't understand totally about DSDT so was wondering what makes one to give better performance than another one? Is there a way you could add the cpu info, memory, and such into your FB DSDT for the CustoMac Pro X58A-UD3R-2.0 that would give better performance?

Also would a normal DSDT file for my computer extracted running at normal speed be different than the DSDT file extracted after I overclock and such? If it would be best to extract mine now that I have my overclock done and "try" and make my own, maybe there is a really good guide for a newbie how to do it?

Thanks for your time.

MaDxCrEaM said:
MacMan, I don't understand totally about DSDT so was wondering what makes one to give better performance than another one? Is there a way you could add the cpu info, memory, and such into your FB DSDT for the CustoMac Pro X58A-UD3R-2.0 that would give better performance?

Also would a normal DSDT file for my computer extracted running at normal speed be different than the DSDT file extracted after I overclock and such? If it would be best to extract mine now that I have my overclock done and "try" and make my own, maybe there is a really good guide for a newbie how to do it?

Thanks for your time.
Within a DSDT you can insert CPU information that could potentially increase or decrease performance or destroy the CPU. CPU specific DSDT editing is risky if you don't know what you are doing.

When extracting a DSDT using Linux you are extracting the raw DSDT from the BIOS which does not contain any machine specific information. Making it safe to use with any hardware configuration.

So there are 2 ways to maximize performance. Ensuring that all BIOS settings are correct or adding CPU edits. I prefer doing everything in the BIOS and am getting a Geekbench 64-bit score of just under 10,000 with an i7-930 at 2.8 GHz with 1600 RAM and Turbo enabled.

If you want real performance gains then over clocking is the way to go.

MacMan said:
Within a DSDT you can insert CPU information that could potentially increase or decrease performance or destroy the CPU. CPU specific DSDT editing is risky if you don't know what you are doing.

This is scary to me. I downloaded a DSDT from Tonymac site that was for my mobo, but I have my cpu overclocked. How can I check if the DSDT I downloaded has potentially dangerous code for my CPU?

@macman:
The FF BIOS for the X58A-UD3R 2.0 is buggy.
There are known issues with AHCI and ON/OFF/ON problem, like I have.
Here's how my rig is starting up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkUx5CFIPZA

So I put a topic to the german Gigabyte-Forum and called Gigabyte-Service in Germany some days later, both stating this:
"Update to BIOS FH1 JZ. There will be no more final BIOS releases for this board"
The FH1 JZ is a test BETA BIOS and seems to work better than official Beta BIOS FG:
http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/index.php

Is there any chance to get a working DSDT from this Beta BIOS?
Please make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back