Contribute
Register

Working Sandy Bridge builds - roll call!

Status
Not open for further replies.
crispybishop said:
Editing the com.apple.Boot.plist under /Extra as I noted yields no change. I've run the Kext Utility to repair permissions and whatnot, but it doesn't stick. I'm guessing this is an anomale. It's always something stupid, but what? Gah!

Are you still putting in arguments like this?
Code:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64 busratio=29</string>
I'm also a n00b, but I would have thought it would go something like:
Code:
<key>Arch></key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>BusRatio</key>
<string>29</string>

I would agree but the existing plist includes the following:

<string>arch=i386</string>

So I think this is the format required.
I suspect this has something to do with what olympionex said: that this just isn't being read (the iBoot-legacy CD is being read instead) or that another value is being used instead.

this sounds great! :)
Do you know if Firewire also works?
(could you look into System Profiler / FireWire ?)

many thanks!

JoshNYC said:
I would agree but the existing plist includes the following:

<string>arch=i386</string>

So I think this is the format required.
I suspect this has something to do with what olympionex said: that this just isn't being read (the iBoot-legacy CD is being read instead) or that another value is being used instead.
Have got mine working now using <string>-force64 busratio=29</string>

Boots up without any choppiness and audio is working too. Might be worth noting that BIOS still reports my multiplier as 34, and that MSR Tools reports the processor as 2 cores at 3.4ghz

Just got my system up and running last night. GA-P67A-UD3 with a i5 2500k and 9800GT. With a SSD this thing really flies.

Thanks so much everyone for your help. Sandy Snow Leopard FTW!!! :mrgreen:

Hardware:
CPU: i7-2600k
MB: ASUS P8P67-M Pro (m-ATX board)
RAM: 16GB GEIL 1333
GC: Point of View GTX570
PowerSupply: 550W Corsair
HD: 64SSD (Crucial); 2TB XT Barracuda, 1TB (older one, i think it was Spinpoint)
Case: Lian Li (the new one the USB 3.0 at the front) :D
Sound: Creative X-Fi Titanium

Installation:
1. Installed Retail Disc (10.6.3) with Iboot Legacy
2. After Reboot, installed Combo Update 10.6.5, then BridgeHelper and MultiBeast (without reboot)
3. After a reboot ->installed LnX 2Mac Realtek drivers and edited my com.boot.plist
4. After reboot: installed AnVal 5.1.3 to get 64-bit support

my boot.plist

-just added busratio=29 to it, bios is untouched

What has to be done (for my system):

install voodoohda 2.7.2 for audio
edit AnVal .com.boot.plist to add "-force64" to it...right now i still have to type it in manually when i boot into OSX (hint: add this note to boot.plist before installing AnVal)

TBBA,

I'm considering almost the same exact build, actually. I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few dumb questions? I'm new to hackintosh, so excuse my ignorance.

1. Are all 16 gb RAM working? I've read several times that SL tends to fail booting with anything over 4 gb...

2. Is there any particular reason why you updated to 10.6.5 and not .6 or .7?

3. Is there any hope of getting the X-Fi to work in OS X? Last I heard, there wasn't...

Thanks!

1) having more than 4Gb installed is not a problem if you start the OS in the 64-bit mode. (during install make sure you just have 4GB installed)

2) Well all the other guides recommended to go first with a Combo Update to 10.6.5...but far i know you could also just go directly to 10.6.6 (isnt that big update)..idk though about 10.6.7....Thing is, if something gets updated (like system drivers/kernel) it can mess your system really bad. Thats why you need to check before updating if works with your system.

3) Idk about the X-Fi for mac...i have also installed Windows on my system..thats where i use the card..ill prob. check it out later. Right now im using the built-in audio mb card. That works.

and im a first time user too :D so..dont worry about asking "stupid" questons :D

Finally got the Sandy Bridge Hackintosh up and running yesterday! Missed 1 file to be copied, but finally figured out what it was. I'm writing up a "Dummy's Guide", noting some of the small things that I, a noob, missed, no matter how obvious they really were. So here's the breakdown for any fellow Sandy Bridgers to follow:

Gear::
MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Standard LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 SandyBridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) 4-core HT
GPU: Diamond Radeon HD5870 2048MB Eyefinity 6 Edition
RAM: Corsair XMS 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3-10666)
PSU: Kingwin MK 1000W ATX12V 2.3
CASE: Logisys CS888CL Clear MT Acrylic Case

Pre-Installation::
1) Follow EVERYTHING on the list on Tony's Troubleshooting post:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9541
If you don't think you need to worry about it or it doesn't apply to you, you're most likely wrong. EVERYTHING. Never hurts to be safe.

2) Download iBoot Legacy, Multibeast, & BridgeHelper from the downloads section, located here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=69/
I used the most recent version of each, which happened to be iBoot Legacy 2.6, MultiBeast 3.1, & BridgeHelper 1.0 (Initial Release).
Also, download the 10.6.6 Combo Update, located here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349
Finally, copy all of these files (except for iBoot Legacy) to an OSX-readable disk (thumbdrive, etc.)

3) In preparation for later, adjust the bus ratio for your CPU to be optimal, as the standard bus ratio will most likely result in staticy audio & a jumpy mouse. The forum related to this topic can be found here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=11139
My bus ratio happened to be 29.

Installation::
1) Having burned the iBoot Legacy .iso to a disc, insert the disc.

2) When the disc shows up, don't launch the disc. Leave the screen alone, open the tray, and swap out the iBoot disc for Snow Leopard retail disc.

3) Hit F5 to rescan drives. You'll see the name of the Optical drive change to Snow Leopard.

4) Now launch the disc (hit Enter). If the screen just goes black, then you need to change your "PciRoot" argument. Mine happened to be "PciRoot=1". Just swap back out for the iBoot disc, restart the computer, and repeat steps 2 & 3. Only, after hitting F5, before hitting Enter, just type "PciRoot=X", trying a new number for X (starting from 1), then hit Enter. Typically PciRoot will be 0, 1, or 2.

5) Once you get the SL disc working, install the OS as normal. However, before installing the OS, click up at the top under "Utilities" and select "Disk Utility". Erase the disc that's going to be your OSX drive, formatting as "Mac OS Extended Journaled". Name it whatever you like. Then hit "Erase". Once done, close Disk Utility and continue with the install.

6) Once the install is done, your computer will restart. Once it restarts, you'll need to insert your iBoot disc (possibly restarting once again). Once you get to the screen showing your iBoot disc and your NEW SL drive, you can choose to boot from the SL drive. Note: You'll need to enter that same "PciRoot" argument as you entered before to get the SL drive to launch.

7) Now that you're into OSX, copy MultiBeast, the 10.6.6 Combo Update, and BridgeHelper to your desktop from that disk you copied them to. Be sure you don't try to run them from the external disk.

8) My preferred method is to get all of the aforementioned apps to the point just BEFORE install. Makes things quick and avoids 10.6.6 CU accidentally crashing (as I had an issue with). First, mount the 10.6.6 CU .dmg and launch the .pkg. Hit "Continue" & "Agree" until you get to the "Install" button. Next, launch Bridge Helper. Do the same until you see the "Install" button. Next, we do the same with MultiBeast. Here are the configuration details to use:
  • a) Do not install EasyBeast or UserDSDT Install.
    b) System Utilites - ALL
    c) Kexts & Enablers - ONLY INSTALL THE FOLLOWING (All under "Miscellaneous):
    ElliottForceLegacyRTC
    Ev0reboot
    FakeSMC
    IOUSBFamily Rollback
    NullCPUPowerManagement
    USB 3.0 - NEC/Renesas (Note: Don't need this if you don't have USB 3.0 ports)
    Voodoo PS/2 Controller (Note: Don't need this if you don't have PS/2 ports)
    d) Bootloaders - Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental.
    e) Boot Options - 64-Bit GraphicsEnabler=No ONLY (Specific my GPU)
    f) System Definitions - Mac Pro 3,1 ONLY
    g) Themes - tonymacx86 Remixed (Just preference, doesn't really matter)
    h) OSx86 Software - ALL
After choosing the above options, hit "Continue". Then go back to the 10.6.6 window.

9) Click "Install" on 10.6.6 CU. Once it's done, DON'T HIT RESTART. Minimize the window if you need to avoid your initial impulse to click that Restart button. Just leave the window OPEN somewhere.

10) Click "Install" on BridgeHelper. Close that installation when it's done.

11) Click "Install" on MultiBeast. Close that installation when it's done.

12) Run the newly-installed "Kext Utility" that can now be found in your Applications folder. Just open it, authenticate with password, wait a bit for it to finish, then click Quit when it's done.

13) Once all that is done, it's ok to hit Restart on the 10.6.6 Update window. Be SURE to hit the RESTART button in that window. Don't use the RESTART button from the OSX menu. It could work, it could not work. But I had bad luck hitting RESTART from the OSX menu. So just do it from the installation window and you should be green, regardless. Do it, I dare ya!

Post-Installation::
**Note**
Now at this time, I couldn't boot from HDD just yet. If you can, then ignore steps 1-7 here. If not, this is why I didn't say to eject the iBoot disk. However, you should be able to boot into the HDD just like you did in step 6 above (i.e. with the iBoot disc in the drive), minus the need for the "PciRoot" command. So go ahead and just boot into your SL drive using that method in step 6 above at this point. Here's how I fixed the problem:

1) Install a simple app called "XRay". You can find it here:
http://download.cnet.com/XRay/3000-2248_4-10079209.html

2) Next, use the "ShowAllFiles" app that you installed shortly ago choosing "Show".

3) Now open the iBoot Legacy disk and you'll see some hidden folders in there. Choose the hidden "Extras" folder and locate the "com.apple.Boot.plist" inside it. Copy that to your desktop. Go into the "Preboot.dmg" image (i.e. mount it) and locate the "com.apple.Boot.plist" just inside it. Copy it to your HDD also. Note that the two files have the same name, so you can't actually copy them to the desktop together, one will overwrite the other. Just keep a note of where the two are and, more importantly, WHICH IS WHICH. (Note: There are only 2 of these files on the disk in entirety. Once you've found 2 different files, you've found the 2 you need).

4) Take these 2 files and open them each with XRay. Authenticate by clicking the little lock. Untick the "Invisible" box, save, quit. You'll see they're no longer invisible!

5) The first one (the one not in the PreBoot.dmg) needs to be copied to (and overwrite the one in): /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
This .plist should only have a few keys inside of it. Nothing in compared with how many are in the other one. Overwrite the one currently at that location.

6) The second one (the one from the PreBoot.dmg) needs to be copied to (and overwrite the one in: /Extra. (Note: It might be a good idea at this time to open that .plist BEFORE copying it into the /Extra folder and add "busratio=X" to the "Kernel Flags" [Where "X" is the value you chose in your Pre-Installation], right after arch=i386 and maxmem=4096. Then save the file and copy it to the /Extras location.)

7) After copying the 2 boot.plist files, you have to edit one of them. The one inside the /Extras folder has 2 references to edit. One refers to "mach_kernel" and the other to "smbios.plist". Edit out the beginning of the filepath so that the field reads just those phrases in quotations, respectively (without the quotes, of course).

8) After the 2 .plist files are copied to the appropriate place on your HDD, eject the iBoot disk. Then, RESTART.

Post-Installation MultiBeast::
**Note**
At this moment, everything was working but Audio and Network. These are the kexts I used in the "Kexts & Enablers" header in MultiBeast.

1) After restarting, rerun MultiBeast. Note that these kexts are specific to my P8P67 Standard MOBO (and other hardware setup). Here's my kext setup:
  • a) Audio - ALC8xxHDA
    AppleHDA Rollback
    ALC892 (Under "Non-DSDT HDAEnabler")
    b) Disk - NONE
    Note that this board comes with Marvell controllers only, not JMicron.
    c) Graphics - NONE
    Note that the HD 5870 is supported natively (so I've gathered), as it worked OOB for me. You may need to install Graphics Enablers if you don't have my GPU.
    d) Network - NONE
    Note that the Realtek RTL8169 controller on this MOBO benefits more from Lnx2Mac's Networking plugin. This was my case, at least.
    You can find that plugin at the blog:
    http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/

2) After choosing all of these, hit Continue and Install. Then rerun Kext Utility as before. Then RESTART.

FINAL NOTES::
At this point, I have full functionality of Network, Audio, Disks, & Graphics (including QE/CI, all resolutions, and all 6 monitors recognized). Sleep works if you use the sleepenabler.kext. I found my enabler on Kexts.com (You need a login):
http://www.kexts.com/view/591-sleepenabler.kext.html

Things to fix still include invoking 64-bit mode & having the OS recognize more than 4Gb of RAM. It boots with the 8Gb I have installed, but won't recognize. I think fixing the 64-Bit issue will fix the RAM recognition. The only other thing to fix is Bluetooth recognition. This MOBO has a built-in Bluetooth controller, but that isn't recognized. These are "little" things to me, at the moment, and will post as I find fixes.

I'm pretty sure the 64-bit is due to the fact that OSX doesn't officially support the Sandy Bridge hardware yet. Perhaps in 10.6.7? *crosses fingers*

Wow, that took FOREVER to type. But I hope it helps my fellow Sandy Bridge installers! I'll post updates if I get any of the above 3 things working. Happy Hacking!

And please post if you have any questions! Glad I can give back to the community!

Wow. Awesome guide. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back