Contribute
Register

Working Build with Thunderbolt-Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i wanted to share my experience with my Hackingtosh build regarding the Thunderbolt-Display. First of all yes it works. Not just the display but also FaceTime Camera, speakers and USB + Thunderbolt hub.

It took quite some time to get everything work most important these are the Parts that I used for the build:

ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard
Intel 8700 Processor
Noctua NH-D15 ProcessorHeatsink
2 x Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB Ram
Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW 970 Evo 1TB
Radeon RX580 8 Gb Pulse
TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900 WLAN
ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 PCI Express 3.0
StarTech.com Thunderbolt 3 Adapter
IOGEAR gbu521 W6 Bluetooth 4.0 USB
Corsair RM650x POWERSUPPLY
Fractal Design R6 + Be Quite Silentwing 3

The Mac OS High-Sierra installation took quite long, because it stopped during installation process, after I changes the RAM position to A1/B1 it worked every single time without a problem.

The Thunderbolt-card gets the video signal from the Rx580 and USB throught the Thunderbolt Header on the Asus Mainboard.
The Display works great every single time, the USB/FaceTime camera and speaker don't work after sleep, which is the only problem.

The system in idel is 24 decibel loud, so actually you can not hear it. It is even quieter then my old Retina MacBook from 2012 which I did not know does make a slid noise.

Geekbech4 -> single 5200 and Multi 25000 -> open GL between 140.000 and 150.000.
Blackmagic SSD test -> 2700 write / 3200 Read.

What works:
- I can control all Fans CPU and 2 case fans. They are running between 200 and 800rpm. I had to use the M2 Fan controller and Case 1 fan controller on the Motherboard. Case 2 fan does not work.
- Thunderbolt Display + Camera + speaker + USB
- Apple wirless space gray keyboard + Master S2 Mouse
- Bluetooth 4.0 plug and play
- Time Capsule backup. Even installing from Times Capsule Backup works.
- Airdrop / FaceTime/iMessages/Appstore works
- Case USB-Ports 2xUsb2.0 2xUSB3.0 audio in / out.

What doesn't work until now:
- Sometime it will still restart after shutdown even fis Shutdown fix in clover
- can't control the brightness of the Thunderbolt display with the apple wireless keyboard.
- no near iPhone connection possible, but answering FaceTime and normal call works fine.
- second Thunderbolt display via daisy-chain does not work. Interestingly the speaker and USB works but just the display won't.

Build costs about 1400,- Euro Plus 450,- for the Thunderbolt-Display.

Do you know how to make audio and ports working on Display?

I have only image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back