Contribute
Register

Why Some Software Wont Run on a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Good day all, I have a pretty stable functional hackintosh setup, but there is one issue I keep noticing. A fair amount of software refuses to run after being installed. Steam and VLC media player are the two I remember right off the bat, but I am sure there will be more as I continue to use this. I am looking to use this hackintosh as a replacement for my Windows 7 machine (while still dual booting Windows of course). Ultimately, my goal is to avoid Windows 8 altogether and stick with OSX from now on, but I want to be sure I will have a fully functional machine that I can trust.

Has anyone else had issues with installing/running software? If so, what did you do to fix it? Is there somewhere I can view a log of what went wrong when the app tried to start?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

What version of VLC are you using?
I'm using version 2.00

Some problems of programs refusing to run are graphics related. I noticed you're using nVidia GTX. I don't know if it's related to that. I'm using an AMD card.

Attachments

• vlc2.png
    vlc2.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 269
Steam and VLC are running fine and flawless on my Lion and Snow Leopard. For incompatible Apps and possible Solutions please visit this Site -> http://roaringapps.com/

Some Apps have the possibility to run in 32bit Mode if you encounter problems. Just right click on that App and select Information and select the "run in 32bit Mode" checkbox. I personally run iTunes in this Mode because i use an 32bit only extension to decode and play ogg Audio Files in iTunes

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-07 um 23.55.33.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-07 um 23.55.33.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 252
  • Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-08 um 00.00.47.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-08 um 00.00.47.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 249
Thanks for all the quick replies. I am using VLC 2.0 as well, and it appears to install just fine. However, when I attempt to run it nothing happens--same goes for Steam. I am using my GTX 570, but I am pretty sure I have that properly configured. I am logged on as the root user, does that make any difference?

EDIT: As it would turn out, being the root user was the problem. How strange, as I thought the root user was a superset of a normal user. Anyway, thanks again for the replies.

Could some experienced user please compile a list of programs that are bad for the Hackintosh? I just stumbled into the Little snith trap unwarned. I am just happy it was the third program I installed. It just kills your install and makes it unbootable
An incompatible software would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back