Contribute
Register

Why do you want to build your own Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 reasons

1: Its an amazing system it works perfectly the way I choose to make it run

2: I built mine for 300$ even the mac mini isnt that cheap.

The only good thing from the bad old days of Windows XP was building your own computer. I loved putting the hardware together and getting it boot and become a working machine. I love my iMac and MacbookPro, but other than upgrading my hard drive to an SSD in the Pro I've had no hardware encounters. When I heard about the Hackintosh idea it seemed the perfect marriage of hardware flexibility and the best OS. I can upgrade and swap parts if the mood takes me. I can leave it alone or tinker, my choice... :thumbup:

I basically need a new computer as I require a pc that is strong enough to run as a windows 2008 server with plenty of power and ram, but more importantly I am going to sell my MacBook Pro to a friend and thought why not build a system which is capable of running both very smoothly and fast.

I have a Mac Pro early 2009, but now I can't upgrade it without needing some "hack", i.e. the firmware update is no longer available for my computer. And if I want to upgrade the graphic board (current is NV GT120) to the ATI 5770 or 5870, which are supported by my machine, this boards from Apple dealers in my country cost around USD 500,00 while the versions of same boards for PC are about USD 170,00.
So I got disappointed with this Apple rules, and found hackintosh as my best alternative.
I think OSX makes the big difference, and having it running in the hardware I wish to use, is glorious.
I'm about finish my first build, which is working fine, though I haven't tested eSATA and USB 3.0 yet.
I really appreciate all the stuff that this amazing site give us to get our rigs working.
Thank you guys!!! :thumbup:

I went macintosh first for the form factor i've never really liked a desktop and the mac mini seemed like a great htpc. After i started using Mac i didnt want to go back to windows. My first hackintosh was a msi wind it was a learning process but i loved it. I felt like it did everything a macbook air would do for WAY less money. I worked really well and i still use it for the last three years. I've had three different mac minis and still have one now that i use as my main computer. I read an article and lifehacker about building a hackintosh and thought it would be awesome to have the power of a mac pro for less than the cost of a mac mini. I started reading through the site and eventually bought all the components. I only have to figure out audio through hdmi then i can sell the mac mini. I have about $650 invested in the hackintosh. So far its been great and i love learning as much as i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back