Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am currently running an older hackintosh system, and its fine for now...I intend to build a nicer system maybe next year, but for now I'd like to upgrade the video card on this box to get 3 displays,...one of them HDMI.

Currently its a GA-P35-DS4 mobo and NVIDIA GeForce 8600 display adapter, which has dual DVI ports on it.

What video card can I add to this system, either replacing the 8600 or adding to it, so that I can have 2 DVI monitors and a 3rd HDMI (even if I have to use a mini display port + adapter or something).

Ultimately I will probably use this video card with the new system I hope to build next year, but we'll see.

Any suggestions welcome.

I'm using a Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti on my Hector system (see my signature block). The Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti has two DVI, a HDMI and a DP ports. I've driven four monitors with the card. It is now going for about $125 USD at Amazon. The only drawback is that will only work with Yosemite or El Capitan using the appropriate OS X build nVidia web drivers. Depending upon your requirements, you'll be able to use this card on your new system, too.

will that card work on mavericks without special web drivers? I'm pretty committed to staying on Mavericks for quite a while, but that could change. I don't want to move past here without a retina display, heard to many bad things and Mavericks is running strong on my MBP too.

4 displays out of one card is pretty amazing! I might consider 3 DVI + 1 HDMI if that actually works. I was thinking I was going to have to get two video cards..which is fine too if i have to..whatever will be reliable and upgradable moving forward..in other words, pretty well supported by future OSX. Could always get a new card I guess in the future if OSX stops supporting it.

I should add also that in the future when I build a bigger system, I intend to build one of the blessed recommended systems from this site.. I just want to try to get a new video card sooner to use with my old system...and keep using it with the new system. Trying to decide whether to buy some extra monitors in the meantime.

For Marvericks, take a look at the GT 740's in an older tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide. These models should work well with Mavericks. However, I have no experience with these cards, so you'll need to do some research.

You can also pick up a used GTX 760 as they are also supported as of 10.8.5. I picked up one for $125 USD off of eBay last year. But, again, check with the manufacturer's web site to see how many monitors a card can support at once. Gigabyte is my choice for graphics cards. Note: make sure your PSU can handle the power draw from the GTX 760 as some require both a 6 pin and 8 pin power PSU connectors.

Good luck!

Update: The more I think about it, the more I'd recommend the used GTX 760 as it will have more "horsepower" to drive 3 monitors.

the one you mentioned for Mavericks, will it upgrade to later OSX ok also?

I will definitely check out all the PSU requirements, thanks for the heads up.

How many total pixels you think these cards can support out of one card? I am thinking about 3 DVI monitors at 1920x1200 and then possibly an HDMI TV on the wall also that I need to feed whatever it can handle, I'm guessing 720p or 1080p, something like that... That seems like a lot for only one GPU.

Seems like these don't handle enough pixels to handle 4 displays. They may handle a lot of CPU crunching for games or whatever...but I don't need that..I just need lots of pixels on up to 4 displays. Also something not too loud in terms of fan noise. maybe its better off using two cheaper ones that can each handle 1920x1200 times 2... whatever is compatible with hackintosh though.

Yes, both the 740 and 760 work with El Capitan. I'm running a Gigabyte GTX 760 in an older system. If you're concerned about the number of pixels these cards can handle, again, check with the mfgr's specs on their web sites. You may have to spring for the 4GB versions of these cards. I have two dual monitor setups with monitors running as a minimum 1920x1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back