PowerColor Ati HD 5770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what makes my system to be a Mac Pro or Mac Mini etc?
For example looking at my system specs, My system info shows this.
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro (early 2008)
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.39 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Bus Speed: 400 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

So basicly.. it says Mac Pro early 2008 3.1
Why for example not Mac pro 2011 ... ?

Cheers!

primer2011 said:
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what makes my system to be a Mac Pro or Mac Mini etc?
For example looking at my system specs, My system info shows this.
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro (early 2008)
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.39 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Bus Speed: 400 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

So basicly.. it says Mac Pro early 2008 3.1
Why for example not Mac pro 2011 ... ?

Cheers!

Depends on what hardware you have. The default Mac Pro profile worked on mine initially, but if I changed to the latest mac pro profile, I kernal panicked.

Now I have dual monitors and have to use a mac mini smbios in order to enable dual monitors with the intel HD3000 graphics.

It's mostly cosmetic, so use an smbios that works and stick with it.

Out of curiosity, is there any speed performance advantage of going from one system profile to another? Because of HD3000 graphics I have to use the mac mini profile. Do I give up any performance by using this profile?

jtsymbo said:
Out of curiosity, is there any speed performance advantage of going from one system profile to another? Because of HD3000 graphics I have to use the mac mini profile. Do I give up any performance by using this profile?

I think there might be minor speed variations between the profiles, as evidenced by benchmarks. but for people who need certain configurations such as dual monitor support with HD3000, we really have no choice except to use the smbios definition that works for our needs.

However, from what i've seen, the variations in benchmark scores are so minor that I don't think it should be a consideration unless you're main objective is to get a high score even if it doesn't translates into real world noticable performance gains or losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back