Contribute
Register

Which card is the best for 64 bit SL 10.6.4?

<200$ card that will run flawlessly in 64bit

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I need a card thats under $200.
I want full acceleration in 64 bit, on only one DVI monitor.
So far I've narrowed it down to:
-gtx 260
-gts 250
-maybe a 4870 if I can find one.

What do you all recommend?

Collegiate_IT_Desk said:
I need a card thats under $200.
I want full acceleration in 64 bit, on only one DVI monitor.
So far I've narrowed it down to:
-gtx 260
-gts 250
-maybe a 4870 if I can find one.

What do you all recommend?
  • The 48xx are a PITA to get working.[/*:m:bwf1h9v3]
  • 5770 is now supported in MultiBeast ![/*:m:bwf1h9v3]
  • IIRC GTX is OK,[/*:m:bwf1h9v3]
  • Not sure about the gts250,[/*:m:bwf1h9v3]
  • I'd add the 9800GT/9800GTX to the list, performance should be similar to 48xx[/*:m:bwf1h9v3]

Good Luck

I'm using a MSI GTS250 without problems with the 64-bit kernel—it's essentially an upclocked 9800GTX. Worked out of the box with GraphicsEnabler but I hacked my DSDT so that it would stop showing up as "unknown" in System Profiler. Full QE/CI and decent enough performance in Steam games.

It's also supposed to be on par with the 5770 in benchmarks, which is pretty good for a GPU that's three years old now.

I am currently leaning towards a gtx 260 because of the ability to run it on just efi strings and nvidia drivers. I am planning on getting the refurbished one on newegg for $160. To me it seems like the best because I know it will work with 64 bit, and I plan to be using at least 6 gigs of ram. I am considering a 250 to save some money and IMO the 5770 is currently out of the question with little/no 64 bit support.

There is support for the 5770 in 64bit mode. It performed better than the 260 for my neighbour.

Jay

Jammol said:
There is support for the 5770 in 64bit mode. It performed better than the 260 for my neighbour.

Jay

How did you get 64bit support? Is it using the vanilla kernel?

darukaru said:
I'm using a MSI GTS250 without problems with the 64-bit kernel—it's essentially an upclocked 9800GTX. Worked out of the box with GraphicsEnabler but I hacked my DSDT so that it would stop showing up as "unknown" in System Profiler. Full QE/CI and decent enough performance in Steam games.

It's also supposed to be on par with the 5770 in benchmarks, which is pretty good for a GPU that's three years old now.

What did youchange on your DSDT?

with regards to the GTS 250. Watch out for mirroring, there are a number of posts about people who cant get two displays. Its very simple to get one display working (with VGA), using DVI or HDMI does not work. The most success ive had for the TV out was with aquamac's string guide, however the display wont mirror and ultimately will not play AVI files. I should note that the TV out was with DVI (single monitor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back