Contribute
Register

What's Your Favorite Text Editor? (Besides TextEdit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
textwrangler

Which text editor(s) has "column mode" selection, cut & paste ???

I don't know what the right word for that is, but imagine you have a text file with lots of similar lines (a list or database, if you will), and the fields are separated by spaces or tabs. "Column mode" or "vertical" selection/cut/paste allows me to select/cut/paste only a single column of data fields...

I wonder if I was clear enough...

TextMate has this.

But Sublime Text 2 does this and raises the bar by allowing arbitrary multiple selections anywhere–and even a set of nifty shortcuts for creating them without your hands leaving the keyboard. This feature alone makes ST2 a rock star.

Seriously folks, if you depend on an editor for your work–like I do–you want Sublime Text 2. I used to love TextMate and I use vi daily, but SubLime Text is the place to be. I really cannot imagine developing anything anymore without it.

coda for me.

Im not a coder nor programmer. most of the other text editors looks more programming oriented to me. coda is nice for my custom css/html and some javascript editing.

My top 3:
1. vi
2. vi
3. vi

I so agree with this list! :thumbup:

Not sure if stream editors are considered as text editors, but I often use Sed and AWK for extracting the data I need from those big a** text files (around half a gig or bigger)...

Nice thread btw, I'll definitely try some of the suggested editors!

Sublime Text 2 is hands down the best all around text editor I've ever encountered. Plus, it has lots of great extensions and plug-ins.

1. BBedit
2. vim

Sublime Text 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back