Contribute
Register

What you should and shouldn't do on hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z77MA-G45
CPU
i7 3770K Ivy Bridge
Graphics
EVGA NVidia GeForce GTX 660Ti SLI 3GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
The thread about Little Snitch got me to wondering what maintenance and procedures should not be performed on a hackintosh that are often performed on a Mac. Can anyone share how some maintenance procedures are detrimental? Are there any procedures that are performed on a Mac that aren't suggested for a hackintosh? I'm also wondering what types of apps would make the system unstable.

Also, I downloaded Temperature Gauge from the App store and didn't have any luck with functionality. Does this require FakeFMC to run? I don't believe I installed that with MB.

These types of recs could be made a sticky in the post install section for future reference.

This is my system specs.

Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 11.46.45 PM.jpg

for the temperatures to work, you might need to have some fakesmc plugins installed, and you do have it installed since there's no way to get a hackintosh working without fakesmc. for temperature monitor tho, you might have better luck finding HWMonitor app which is sort of designed for temperature monitoring on hackintoshes.

the only thing you have to watch out for is OS updates, generally it's best to wait and read reports if it's save to do it, but I haven't run into an OS update that has killed my machine since 10.5.

all software should run just fine, including little snitch.

for the temperatures to work, you might need to have some fakesmc plugins installed, and you do have it installed since there's no way to get a hackintosh working without fakesmc. for temperature monitor tho, you might have better luck finding HWMonitor app which is sort of designed for temperature monitoring on hackintoshes.

the only thing you have to watch out for is OS updates, generally it's best to wait and read reports if it's save to do it, but I haven't run into an OS update that has killed my machine since 10.5.

all software should run just fine, including little snitch.
Hi and thanks. I have auto updates turned off and plan on doing what you suggest.

The Temperature Gauge from the app store works perfectly on my MBP but not at all in this rig. I must not have something enabled or there's something else wrong. The system otherwise, is running flawlessly. Everything works, sleep, awake with BT mouse, sound and graphics with 660Ti and usb3.0. All of which I initially had trouble with.

I downloaded a trial of the Hardware Monitor and it does show core, cpu and HD temps but thought the app from the Apple Store looked better and was more easy to configure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back