Contribute
Register

What kind of hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all your help and advice - appreciate it.

Now, before I attempt this, I just need to make sure, that as soon as I install Snow Leopard through iBoot, my displays won't go blank.

If I understood it right, my gfx will work in Snow Leopard, but not in Lion, so the Lion install needs patching, true/false !?!

I remember reading somewhere that Netkas also, around the launch of Snow, made a patch for Snow so Radeon HD 4890 worked - but is this still an issue, or, in other words, do I need to patch both Snow and Lion?

If so, which GFX card would you guys recommend I replace to, instead?
Again, would my old Radeon HD 2600 PRO be the way to go, or should I go the Nvidia way?
Any specific cards that are confirmed to work in both Snow and Lion would be appreciated.

Oh great, so, I just attempted to install via iBoot, however, when I pop in my Snow Leopard dvd, i notice a scratch on the surface - no big deal, I'll try anyway.

But, then it completely refuses to read anything from the DVD - it's apparantly too damaged. :banghead:

So, I need to buy a new one, but that's not possible (not retail, anyway) in Denmark - only the upgrade ones.

Do any of you know how to obtain this DVD (legally, of course), and where?
I'm stuck at Windoze untill I can figure out where to buy the 10.6.3 retail DVD again :problem:

EDIT

Just want to make sure I ordered the right DVD from Apple, so, does everyone here agree, this is the one to use? :D

http://store.apple.com/dk/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL

Okay - just ordered a new retail disc from Apple so anxiously awaiting this. In the meantime I' researching regarding the HD 4890 patching. In regards to this I just heard about something called Zeus. Would it be possible to use this to install the exotic patch for Snow? Maybe even without flashing my ATI card (don't even know why it's needed to flash a new rom to a card - I thought it were all about patching/kext'ing?)

If not, would I be right in saying the procedure in short would be: boot with iBoot, switch to Snow disc, install, boot with iBoot, update to 10.6.8 in combo update, use Easybeast, patch 10.6.8 exotic patch, reboot without iBoot- and done, true? Or do I need to patch 10.6.3 with exotic patch, upon completed Snow install?

I know I'm playing 1 gazillion questions to the professor, but are really not sure I quite get it.

I'm usually pretty sharp with computers but so far only in DOS and windows. Hopefully soon I'll have learned enough to provide the same amount of help you guys have given me so far

No need to flash the BIOS on the card, all you should have to do is patch a few files. What you're mentioning is for Mac users who wants to use a card designed for PC's in their Mac, it has nothing to do with hacks.

Dunno about that specific card, as I haven't used one, but you might want to look around in the forums here to see if someone has one and got it working.

Oh okay. Will research then further  ;-)

Just got my new retail DVD as well as optical drive today. Can't wait to get installing :-D

Ok, I need serious help !

I've tried running both the iBoot, as well as the iBoot legacy, but I keep getting a 0x09 ebios error when switching from iBoot to SL DVD and the DVD drive doesn't spin.

When switching to ENHANCED --> IDE in BIOS it is possible to get to the grey Apple logo, and then of course the prohibited sign (O with a / across). :banghead:

I have disconnected my HDD that Windows saw as disk 1, and have currently only connected the drive that Windows sees as disk 0
but during POST on boot I quickly see something that might (probably is) be a text error that goes along something like "Adapter 1 no harddisk detected.." or something in that department.

Can any of you see through this error, and guide me in the right direction, cause to tell you the truth I'm completely lost.

This no hdd error only started occurring after I disconnected my secondary hdd - and it's completely disconnected, it just sits there, in my rig. :confused:

But more importantly I'd like to know why my retail DVD isn't loading, as I understood it should !?! :eek:

EDIT
Thought it might help to tell you guys what I actually did :D
In BIOS I configured
* SATA as: AHCI
* MAX CPUID VALUE LIMIT: Disabled
* Suspend Mode: S3 only

but do I need to also enable C-State as well as ACPI 2.0 (I've heard such rumors across the boards, but can't seem to verify if true or not).
After this I insert iBoot / iBoot Legacy - wait for it to boot - pop out this - pop in SL DVD - hit F5 - type PCIRootUID=1 - x and bang the ENTER key = :banghead:
Tried without -x o_O Tried without PCIRootUID=1 but with -x :confused: Tried without PCIRootUID=1 and without -x :cry:

I seriously need some help, guys - so any advice/directions would be greatly appreciated ;)

Bingo - that's the answer:

Boot XP disc, remove all partitions espevially the NTFS Windows partition (any NTFS, actually) boot with iBoot etc.. and currently running SL installation :-D

Done in 16 min.
Will post how it goes :-D

Okay - installation went Well. Reboot wit iBoot in drive - waited on Apple logo (grey background) for around 10 minutes - nothing. Pressed my reset button and booted again - back to square one: 0x09 errors.
Tried installing again. Install disc loads, but when booting iBoot before switching, 0x09 errors. Does this constitute problem when install disc is loading with PCIRootUID=1 ?

Currently running 10.6.3 through iBoot. Waiting for 10.6.8 v. 1.1 to finish downloading.
Hopefully I'll see you guys on Lion soon :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back