Contribute
Register

What is your background that draws you to Hackintoshing?

What is your background that draws you to Hackintoshing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
alans17 said:
I wanted a Mac-based home server with lots of room for drive expansion, but I can't afford a Mac Pro and I don't need a Xeon processor.

What the benefits of a Mac based home server? What do you do?
and another question, you use the mac server version?
Here i use a windows 7 based server for storage and downloads, but i'm very unhappy with the corruption of system in power failures (not so frequent, but is very frustrating to troubleshoot).
I was thinking if is worth try a hack in a dual core cpu...

Oh, hackintoshing is fun!

I suppose geek is a fair description of myself and most that that most of my family would use for me too. :geek:

I am adicted to the hackintosh world as I am always trying to expand my capabilities and that of the PC too.

Plus: I am too cheap to buy one and don't want to be stuck with an un-upgradable £2k machine in a couple of years.

The first time I saw a Mac was in 1983. My father bought it as part of his curriculum as he taught graphic arts in high school. I thought it was amazing at what it could do. My art education was the traditional "old school" where everything was done by hand. I'm an illustrator at heart, and I always will be. My first professional exposure to a Mac was in 1988. It was my first "real" job. Next to our drawing tables was a table which held a Plus and an SE. From the moment I started using them I was hooked. Over the years I have been able to incorporate my natural talents with my passion for the Macintosh. I currently work as a Mac network admin, and I'm in charge of 20+ stations and all of the peripherals. I love the OS and I love the hardware. I guess my curiosity got the best of me and I had to try and build a Hackintosh just to see if I could. And now I'm hooked. I can't wait to start a new one!

No IT degree whatsoever. We have had computer in the house since I'm a kid though and I consider this my hobby. I've always loved building computers and troubleshooting them. I work in the film industry (post production) so I have computers around me all day, both W7 and OSX. Thinking of triple booting my hack with a non GUI Linus distro to learn how to manage a network with command lines...

Yes, I am indeed a geek

hello !! im currently finding some threads to install hackintosh on my computer ... so i found that you said building hack re-energize you and you had been build so much of computer with hackintosh !!! so i think maybe you are the right person to ask with .... can you please help me and im quite noob in this ....

my hardware is quite old as follow :
Asrock G31M-S R2.0
core 2 duo E4500 2.24 GHZ
Nvidia GT 200
160 GB HDD
2GB DDR2 RAM

i read quite a number of threads from other forum and their given guide required me to have a modified bios but i found out that most of the download link is dead =(

so im here please to ask you that if you can provided me a guide to boot mac on my computer or you have another better way to do it ....

thank you in advance !! i will appreciate so much

Geek, but also I'm a professional editor that uses Final Cut Pro and various other tools for OSX.

Back when I first got into Hacks, I hated the idea of ponying up for Apple's Mac Pro. Even years ago, I thought it was too much money for essentially outdated hardware. Same hold true today; as of this writing the updated MacPro still isn't actually in anyone's hands.

I wasn't up for hopping on that "wait for years with outdated equipment" bandwagon. (And there's no other desktop Mac other than the Pro that I'd ever have been happy with.)

So in the 5 years I've been building Hacks, I'd estimate I've spent maybe the same as a fully loaded MacPro would have cost me back then- but I've had multiple system upgrades, at least three full overhauls of my system (motherboard, RAM, CPU, graphics card) tons of hard drives, etc. Soon I'm planning an upgrade to Haswell.

For me, Hackintoshing has been a perfect fit. I much prefer to build and upgrade my own desktop computers, than to be stuck with Apple's glacially slow upgrade cycle. From day one, I've gotten my work done with my Hacks more comfortably than I would have on anything but the best MacPro.

Some people like to believe Hacks aren't stable and therefore can't be relied on for doing work, but those people are doing something wrong. My experience from day 1 has been exactly the opposite- my Hacks have been rock stable and easily are the most reliable computers I've ever owned. I've actually seen more kernel panics on my 15" retina MacBook Pro than I have on my signature Hackintosh. (For some reason, the rMBP has some issues with its USB ports and will on occasion KP after waking from sleep. Ironic, because my HP Probook 4530s Hackintosh laptop used to have similar issues when I first set it up, but those were since ironed out by the ProBook community here.)

Anyway, what's drawn me to it is extreme bang-for-buck, plus I love that I can build exactly the system I need for my work, without spending anything close to Apple's prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back