2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hi all

I'm doing my shopping for my first hackintosh and since I'm on a budget I'm trying to optimize my build. I don't plan to have a Formula1 but the best I can within my budget.
The demanding activity I do is photo organizing and post processing with Adobe Bridge, DxO OpticsPro and Affinity. They are extremely demanding on the RAM.
I don't do videos, at least for the time being, and I doubt I will in the foreseeable future.
I don't play games and I don't plan to.
I don't plan to overclock.

Here is my shopping list.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 ATX Socket 1151

CPU: Intel Skylake Core i5-6600 / 3.3 GHz (Turbo Boost 3.9 GHz) 4 cores Cache Socket, Socket 1151 (BX80662I56600)

RAM: CRUCIAL 16GBx2 32GB Kit, DDR4 2133 MT/s DIMM 288 (CT2K16G4DFD8213)
(I want to be able to add 32GB more in the future and a 2x16GB pack is hardly more expensive than a 4x8GB pack. Are all RAMs with the same specs born equal?).

GPU: not planned for now. I am not sure the benefit is significant enough with the softs I use. I can add one in the future when an interesting opportunity arises.

HD: A 2TB Barracuda or else.

Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 - 150 W

Power: Corsair Semi-Modular ATX CX450M Power Supply

Box: Corsair Carbide 200R

Firewire card: SYBA 2-port of 1394b + 1-port of 1394a Ports PCI-Express Controller Card SY-PEX30016 (I have 2 legacy FW400 devices so I actually don't need a FW800 port. Is there a cheaper FW400 card?)

I already own: 2560x1440 monitor, keyboard, 250GB SSD.
I may feel the need in the future for a Card reader (SD etc.). Any suggestion?

TIA for giving me your opinion and suggestions, folks.

Nick

Here is my shopping list.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 ATX Socket 1151

CPU: Intel Skylake Core i5-6600 / 3.3 GHz (Turbo Boost 3.9 GHz) 4 cores Cache Socket, Socket 1151 (BX80662I56600)

RAM: CRUCIAL 16GBx2 32GB Kit, DDR4 2133 MT/s DIMM 288 (CT2K16G4DFD8213)
(I want to be able to add 32GB more in the future and a 2x16GB pack is hardly more expensive than a 4x8GB pack. Are all RAMs with the same specs born equal?).

As long as you get good quality RAM from a reputable company (such as Crucial) you're *probably* ok. The safest bet is to look at your motherboard's Supported RAM list at the manufacturer's site (they almost all have such a list) and get the EXACT part numbers specified there.

Firewire card: SYBA 2-port of 1394b + 1-port of 1394a Ports PCI-Express Controller Card SY-PEX30016 (I have 2 legacy FW400 devices so I actually don't need a FW800 port. Is there a cheaper FW400 card?)

I know for sure that card works, or at least it did in Mountain Lion (that was the last time I used mine). You should read this thread though, before you buy one: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-firewire-800-400-card-to-own-for-100-compatibility.59767/

I may feel the need in the future for a Card reader (SD etc.). Any suggestion?

Yes. Avoid the readers that fit in a 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" external drive bay; every single one of those I've bought has lasted about a month before it stopped working. I have a very inexpensive card reader that has never given me any problems - it supports MicroSD, SDHC/SDXC, and Sony MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo (as if anyone still uses those formats!) It's available for about $10 from both Amazon and Newegg: the Aluratek AUCR200 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KO6MU8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20.

Hi nobodynose
Thanks for your quick reply.

As long as you get good quality RAM from a reputable company (such as Crucial) you're *probably* ok. The safest bet is to look at your motherboard's Supported RAM list at the manufacturer's site (they almost all have such a list) and get the EXACT part numbers specified there.
The mobo specs says:
  1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR4 2133 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for ECC UDIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  5. Support for non-ECC UDIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules
On the Crucial site for the Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 UDIMM it says it's Non-ECC. There is a compatibility checker and it says it's OK.
BTW: you can fill up only two RAM banks out of the four on the mobo, can't you?

I know for sure that card works, or at least it did in Mountain Lion (that was the last time I used mine). You should read this thread though, before you buy one: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-firewire-800-400-card-to-own-for-100-compatibility.59767/
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-firewire-800-400-card-to-own-for-100-compatibility.59767/
I already read it and got the information from there.
Strangely enough there is a significant demand for that type of card and very little information is available.

Yes. Avoid the readers that fit in a 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" external drive bay; every single one of those I've bought has lasted about a month before it stopped working. I have a very inexpensive card reader that has never given me any problems - it supports MicroSD, SDHC/SDXC, and Sony MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo (as if anyone still uses those formats!) It's available for about $10 from both Amazon and Newegg: the Aluratek AUCR200 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KO6MU8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20.
I was considering a reader that fits in a bay. Some of those I found on Amazon are too dirt cheap to be a really good buy. Yet there are some from reputable companies like Sedna and StarTech. I try to avoid buying more USB connected devices if possible. Anyway it's not an urgent need.

Thanks for your advices

Nick

The mobo specs says:

On the Crucial site for the Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 UDIMM it says it's Non-ECC. There is a compatibility checker and it says it's OK.

I'm sure that Crucial RAM will work perfectly well - I'm just saying that if you were to run into problems with it (which I'm sure you won't), Gigabyte won't necessarily back you up unless that specific RAM is on their compatibility list, because that list is what they have tested. I assume you haven't looked at the list yet, since you didn't mention it. Bottom line, if you're that concerned about it, make sure the RAM you buy is on the manufacturer's list.

BTW: you can fill up only two RAM banks out of the four on the mobo, can't you?

Of course.

I was considering a reader that fits in a bay. Some of those I found on Amazon are too dirt cheap to be a really good buy. Yet there are some from reputable companies like Sedna and StarTech.

Yeah, stay away from the no-name ones - you should probably be OK with one from a reputable company like Sedna, Syba, or Startech.

I try to avoid buying more USB connected devices if possible. Anyway it's not an urgent need.

You do know that virtually all storage bay card readers connect to USB, right?

Crucial RAM is reliable. Ive got there kits in my Probook 4530s also my macbook and Mac mini. Not had no problems with them. Id recommend staying away from cheap unbranded RAM as they are not reliable.

I'm sure that Crucial RAM will work perfectly well - I'm just saying that if you were to run into problems with it (which I'm sure you won't), Gigabyte won't necessarily back you up unless that specific RAM is on their compatibility list, because that list is what they have tested. I assume you haven't looked at the list yet, since you didn't mention it. Bottom line, if you're that concerned about it, make sure the RAM you buy is on the manufacturer's list.
Crucial RAM is reliable. Ive got there kits in my Probook 4530s also my macbook and Mac mini. Not had no problems with them. Id recommend staying away from cheap unbranded RAM as they are not reliable.
Crucial is the brand I used for my former iMac and for my current Mini. There was hardly any other option anyway. It worked without a glitch for years.
I checked Crucial's list of compatibility with the mobo I chose. I'll check Gigabyte's too.
The reason I was a bit concerned is that this specific product is incredibly cheap.
As long as it's rated to the correct speed that's what counts, right?

Yeah, stay away from the no-name ones - you should probably be OK with one from a reputable company like Sedna, Syba, or Startech.
Some brands do have a name but that nobodynose. ;)

You do know that virtually all storage bay card readers connect to USB, right?
Sure. I should have mentioned I was talking about external devices. With my Mini I had to buy an external CD reader (1) and my desk is a mess (well, it's a mess anyway, it's just adding up to it).

One more question: do you think the mobo and the CPU I picked are a good match?

Thanks for your input, folks. :thumbup:

Nick

1) Confident in the brand I bought a Samsung and yet it's one of the worst devices ever.

Hi all

I'll pass my order tomorrow with a couple of changes in my build.

Someone told me the 450Watt PSU I chose could become short in the future if I add more stuff in the box, in particular a GPU, even though it's unlikely I will need a big, power-hungry one. So I decided I would go for a 550Watt PSU that's not available on Amazon US but which is in France for ~$55 : Corsair CP-9020097-VS550 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS 550W.

I read mixed comments on the Asus CD/DVD reader I first picked, especially about its noise, so I shifted to Sony Optiarc 18X SATA DVD-ROM Drives DDU1681S-0B (Black) that costs $114.00 on Amazon US but a little more than $30 in France! :thumbup:

I'm adding about $20 to the bill.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back