CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 560 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm having a weird issue when I have my 3TB HDD installed on a cold boot. Right now I have my Lion and Win 7 loaded on two different partitions of a 1.5TB HDD and everything running fine. After adding my 3TB drive into the system, a cold boot will freeze at the Gigabyte splash screen. If I hot swap the drive in (either SATA or USB from an external enclosure) I am able to access and fully manipulate it in both Windows and OSX. The issue only appears when it is installed durring a cold boot. The disk is formatted as a exFAT drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
16GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz, 4x4GB
1.5TB HDD
3TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD

I am still having problems with this. For some reason, I am unable to get past the Gigabyte splash screen on start up with my 3TB HDD plugged in. I am trying to use the 3TB HDD as storage, but I am unable to start up with it plugged in. This is my fist hack, so sorry for my noobishness. Can anybody help me with what I am doing wrong?

Did you solved your problem? I am having the same issue here...

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4 GHz
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
32GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz, 4x8GB
128GB Samsung SSD 830 Series
3TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD

Having the same problem with one of my 3TB drive formatted as exfat. Actually, it happened on both my Seagate and WD 3TB drive if I formatted it as exfat. Read else where that I can recover the data (hopefully) by putting the drive in a dock that support 3TB drives. My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-z77x-up5-th.

I hope Gigabyte post a firmware fix. It's obviously the motherboard that refuse to recognize 3TB exfat drive and hang there.

Same issue
I dont have an external enclosure, should I try hot swap with sata cable and then reformat as something besides exFAT?

I set the SATA port to hot swappable, connected the second 3TB drive after the OS had booted, and then reformatted it as Mac OSX journaled(didnt have many other choices), and restarted and... It booted up fine! Restarted and went into BIOS, turned off the SATA port as hot swappable, and then saved and exited and, I worked again. So im all up and running.

So final fix was, GA-H77N-WIFI Motherboard would not let me boot with a second HDD in exFAT format. Change the format of your second drive and you should be all in the clear. Hope this helps

GA-H77N-WIFI
i3 3.29 GHz
16GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz, 2x8GB
128GB Samsung SSD
3TB Western Digital RED HDD

Having the same problem here with a 3TB seagate the GA-Z77X-UD5H

If I format the drive in exFAT on windows or mac and then have it plugged in to any of the sata2 on boot the system will get stuck at the gigabyte splash screen with the led display on the motherboard reading A2

If i plug it out I can boot the system but cant hot swap it after.

I then plugged it into an old Dell machine running xp and just booted it up. didnt format it or anything and after that i could hotswap it into my hackintosh after boot

Formated as mac extended or NTFS it all works fine from start to finish.

Has anyone been on to Gigabyte about this or tried partitioning a smaller part of it in exfat and the rest in NTFS or mac?

Shoot, I just made a post about this issue, hope i don't get slapped on the wrist.

So has this been confirmed? A 3TB exFAT storage drive will not allow a Gigabyte z77 ud5h motherboard to boot? I really wanted a drive that worked across systems!!

Does anyone have a solution???

I also have 3TB HDD which I formated as exFAT. I enabled hot plug in BIOS but still wont show up after I restart and when plugged in hangs on BIOS screen.

HELP!!!!:eek:

Same issues here! I have a 128GB SSD running Mavericks, a 640GB HDD in exFat and a 3TB HDD in exFat.
i think i have to format the 640GB in Mac OS Extended Journaled. I see no other way, since now i was good with exFat for data...

thank you! :wave:

edit: formatting the 640GB in Mac OS Extendet Journaled doesn't help. Seems like there is a problem with 3TB drives. Any ideas???

Wow, every time I think about using exFaT to communicate between OSX and Win I run into posts like this.

I'm convinced that exFat is not ready for prime time. I'll keep using an NAS device formatted in NTFS and use TuxeraNTFS to read it from my Mac. Three years running and so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back