Graphics
EVGA 770 Classified
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys, I wanna use Chimera to dual boot my hackintosh build but the HDD that I want to put windows on already has a windows os and files and programs installed on it. Is it possible for me to put together my build and then install osx but use my existing HDD with win7 on it? Please let me know! I would rather not have to reinstall everything on a new windows computer :)

Hey guys, I wanna use Chimera to dual boot my hackintosh build but the HDD that I want to put windows on already has a windows os and files and programs installed on it. Is it possible for me to put together my build and then install osx but use my existing HDD with win7 on it? Please let me know! I would rather not have to reinstall everything on a new windows computer :)

not possible - you need another HDD/SSD (best) or re-install all.

I'll add just a "little bit" to what GB says...

It is actually possible, but not for the non-technical. The general idea is this:
- requires UEFI boot capability
- convert your existing Win7 legacy/MBR install to UEFI/GPT (google for instructions)
- create a new partition for OS X
- use the Clover bootloader
- install OS X

If you're not careful, it is likely you'll make a mistake and have to re-install everything. It would be best to "practice" first with a spare HDD (eg. clone your Win7 HDD and practice on the clone).

There is also a few gotchas with the GPT partition setup you should be aware of. See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

If you don't have solid computer skills, you're probably best off installing everything fresh.

Alright guys! Thanks for all the help. Ill let you know on how my build goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back