Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey there guys,

firstly i want to wish you a happy new year.
I need in the near future another desktop PC mainly for Photo and Videoediting. I am responsible for a few Youtubechannels and i have now another Cutter in my team and therefore i need a new machine.
The System should be fast but it don't need it to be a beast. The budget is more important. I've built systems before, but only Windows. Now I thought why don't built a system which can dualboot.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H (???)
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
GPU: Asus GTX660-DC2OCPH-2GD5 (???)
SSD: 2x SanDisk 128GB (Dualboot Windows / Mac)
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2TB (more coming when needed)
Case: ...
PSU: Corsair cx600m

Right now I am working on a 2-year old AMD-based System. So you know with which system i compare the overall performance to.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 6x 2,8GHz
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
RAM: 12 GB GEIL Value Plus PC3-10600 DDR3
GPU: Palit GTX 460 1GB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
HDD: multiple TB-Drives

And I am still really pleased with this system. So my standard isn't that high. And i think the Intel-System above is more powerful ...

I've searched the internet several guides, this forum an now have a few questions:
Is the overall ystem configuration good for it's purpose?
Is the Grafixcard worth it's Price (for videoediting with Premiere)? Should i get a cheaper one?
Is the MoBo alright or are there any better suggestions?
Is there any other option for RAM? Can i get cheaper?
The Case (Corsair Carbide 300R) from the buyers guide seems nice, but i think it's a bit costly. I do not need prettiest case, so is there a cheaper, good quality case out there which can be recommended?
Is the PSU overkill or just right?

Thank's alot guys! Please forgive my poor English skills ...
Greetings from Germany
Patrik

For the power supply, what you have right now is estimated on pcpartspicker @ about 330 watts. So you could downgrade to a Corsair CX430, tho you said you are adding more hard drives later. So I'd go with the CX500. That will give you good overhead and compensation for when the PSU starts to age and lose wattage over natural degradation.

WD Green hard drives are slower 5400RPM drives. That may not be important to you if you are just using them for long term storage. You may want to get a 7200RPM drive if you are going to be transferring data on and off it regularly. I love 5400 drives because they're so much quieter. But again, depends on your needs.

Cheaper memory? Just about any 1600MHz memory will do since you don't seem to be gearing up for overclocking. Crucial Ballistix Sport tends to be fairly inexpensive.

Being for video editing (where sound maybe important), you may want to get a third party CPU cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or Hyper T4 are usually only about $30). I only say this because the stock Intel coolers are usually quiet loud. Would make for a nicer working environment. The Asus card you chose with the CUII cooler is nice and quiet at idle and would make for a relatively quiet machine. If you got the 3rd party cooler, the loudest thing in your system would probably be the mechanical hard drives.

As far as the video card goes, hard to say if it is more or less than you need. Depends on if you do a lot of tasks in premiere that take advantage of Cuda or OpenCL. If you're just doing basic editing without applying a lot of filters and effects, you probably don't need a very fast card. Adobe Media Encoder does take advantage of graphics card hardware acceleration (better than Apple Compressor, if you ask me). So if you're looking for a boost on exporting power, a nicer card will help with that.

For cases...cheaper and good quality don't really go together =). But you probably knew that. No suggestions off hand, but I would just search for cases at a more preferable price range and find one with good reviews.

So far i havn't any system yet because i was to busy. But that gonna change in the next few weeks. I just want to ask again if my parts for the system are alright (they slightly changed).

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570
Motherboard: GA-H87-D3H
RAM: 8GB Team Groupe Elite DDR3-1333 DIMM CL9
Case: Enermax ECA3250-B Ostrog
PSU: Corsair 500 Watt Modular
GFX: ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5
CPU-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4

And my Drives:
1 SSD for the Operating System (Future: 1 for the other OS)
WD HDD 2TB
WD HDD 3TB
WD HDD 4TB

So is the configuration alright?
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back