1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. eMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a system I built as a file server, running FreeNAS 8 that I'm considering switching to run 10.7. The main board is a GA-H67A-USB3 which I know to be workable for a hackintosh. The CPU is an i3 2100 which I know uses the unsupported HD2000 onboard graphics. I've seen a few threads where people have had some luck getting HD2000 graphics to work, sans QE/QI but I haven't had any luck getting an install going using unibeast. It hangs waiting for DMOS.

I realize that the first response I'm going to get is going to say "Buy a HD3000 CPU or a discrete GPU" but I'd prefer not to spend any more money to build up the graphics for a system that will be headless and where having no QE/QI at low resolution is preferable.

Does anyone have an info for getting unibeast to run with HD2000? I've tried safe boot, the the GraphicsEnabler=no boot flag with no luck.

If all else fails and a graphics card is the only option, I'd like to fine a very cheap option, just enough to run 10.7. Are there any suggestions for a low cost card, maybe a 8400 GS?

Any info helps, thanks.

I realize that the first response I'm going to get is going to say "Buy a HD3000 CPU or a discrete GPU" but I'd prefer not to spend any more money to build up the graphics for a system that will be headless and where having no QE/QI at low resolution is preferable.
No, my first response if why are you dumping FreeNas and switching to an inferior OSX as a file server? I don't get it. You'll be losing a lot of advanced RAID functionality. The only software RAID OSX offers out of the box (without additional RAID cards) is RAID 0 and 1.

powerpcg5 said:
No, my first response if why are you dumping FreeNas and switching to an inferior OSX as a file server? I don't get it. You'll be losing a lot of advanced RAID functionality. The only software RAID OSX offers out of the box (without additional RAID cards) is RAID 0 and 1.

Flexibility, scriptability and stability. The first 2 are self explanatory and FreeNAS is extremely buggy when you want to use anything beyond the basic features. FreeNAS's only real advantage, as you mentioned, if ZFS. If ZFS was all the mattered, I'd run OpenIndiana Server and call it a day. Thankfully, I've been on the Z410 Beta for a while (and the public release is imminent) so I can have my cake and eat it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back