Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-P
CPU
Intel Core i5 4460
Graphics
Asus GTX 670
Hi, I really need your help!

I'm on 10.9.3. I installed an iTunes update, thinking it would do no harm, but I was wrong.
My hackintosh froze, and after a hard reboot, all I got was a kernel panic. I tried booting in safe mode, which worked, and I don't remember exactly what I did, but I tried to fix it and it booted, but everything is REALLY slow and unusable. Takes 30 secs to open system settings etc. Finally, I tried to restore from a time machine backup from point before I installed the iTunes update, but I still get the same problem - a very slow OSX, so now I can't even install chimera from multibeast. Booting in safe mode does not help, still slow.

Would REALLY appreciate some quick help, as this is preventing me to work right now...

Kind regards,
Ben

So after trying out different bootflags and BIOS settings for a while, I finally gave up and did a fresh install. Everything works fine, I install the bootloader and kexts with Multibeast, then migrate applications etc. from my Time Machine backup. Still works fine. Then I try to set my home folder to my old one, which I have on a separate drive, to recover my desktop & dock settings etc. I restart and BAM, same issue as before. Seems like the problem has something to do with my old user/user files. Will keep investigating...

Sounds like the separate drive is dying to me or has serious problems otherwise.

Sounds like the separate drive is dying to me or has serious problems otherwise.

It certainly looks like that was the problem.

I copied the whole home folder to my SSD and tried to set it as the home folder to my user and everything worked fine. Tried running "Repair Disk" from the Disk Utility on the HDD - it said it was unable to repair it and that I should back up my files and format. I did just that, format worked fine, then ran "Repair Disk" again and now there's no problem with it.

I'm a bit afraid of using the disk now though - what if there will be problems with it again? Maybe it's dying?

Why the bump ?

Are you waiting for someone to reassure you that the drive won't fail again ?
Nobody can tell you that.
The one thing that is certain about a hard drive is that one day it will fail, the uncertain thing is when.

I have had brand new drives that fail after ten minutes use and second hand drives that I am still using after seven years.

This is why it is vital to have a solid backup regime.

If you are concerned about the quality of the drive then don't use it (at least not for anything important to you).

Good Luck

Why the bump ?

Are you waiting for someone to reassure you that the drive won't fail again ?
Nobody can tell you that.
The one thing that is certain about a hard drive is that one day it will fail, the uncertain thing is when.

I have had brand new drives that fail after ten minutes use and second hand drives that I am still using after seven years.

This is why it is vital to have a solid backup regime.

If you are concerned about the quality of the drive then don't use it (at least not for anything important to you).

Good Luck

I was waiting for some input on the issue, and you gave me that, so thank you :)
I guess I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with a drive. I'm going to check if it's still under warranty and if so, send it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back