Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> VDA Decoder Failure- Empty / headless framebuffer ID for Intel UHD 630 in a i9-10900k processor

Motherboard
MSI Z590-A Pro
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6600
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
In the Hackintool System tab, I see that the vda decoder failed. I did the vda decoder check in terminal that is suggested in dortania and I got a 12473 error. I was wondering if someone else with a similar configuration has seen the same message for the vda decoder. My mobo is MSI z590-A Pro and my dgpu is the
MSI - AMD Radeon RX 6600 ARMOR 8G- 8GB GDDR6). I’m using the iMac 20,2 SMBIOS running the latest version of macOS Ventura and booting through OpenCore 0.9.6. My EFI and ioreg report are attached.

Also, I want to use the iGPU for computing only in my hackintosh. What is the best empty / headless framebuffer ID to define in OpenCore device properties for the intel UHD 630 igpu in a i9-10900k processor?

I’m currently using the one that Dortania OC Install Guide indicates for Comet Lake which is 0300C89B but I have seen in some posts that it’s better to use an id that aligns with the CPU you’re using, for example 0300C59B in my case. I also saw 0300C49B as an alternative.

Any feedback from this great community or the moderators is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• iMac 20,2.zip
    10.5 MB · Views: 17
  • EFI.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I solved the vda decoder failure by applying the overrides that I found in the whatevergreen FAQ DRM chart in github.

defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder -string force

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -boolean yes

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -boolean yes

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes

I also switched to the MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS, so I don’t have to deal with the igpu.

Back