Contribute
Register

v310's First Build: Core i7-3770K - GA-Z77N-WIFI - 16GB RAM - GTX 660Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear v310
great machine you built!:headbang:
It seems that you have both video card (660 ti) and atheros wifi: how did you managed to have both installed?
Is there "naturally" enought room for both on the mobo? I thought video card would have covered atheros pci port.. can you send a pic of inner parts?
Thanks a lot in advance for your reply I'm working in order to build a very similar machine
R

I've uploaded a couple of pictures (check my album). The atheros (DW1515) is a half card and goes to the mini pci-e slot. The GTX 660ti goes to PCI-Express 3.0 slot on the opposite side. So yes, there is enough room for both :thumbup:

Hi, I have pretty much the same set up as you, few questions:

1. Why do you need to install drivers from nVidia?
- my USB install dongle has 10.8.2 and no need for any additional drivers, that's why I'm asking what's the reason behind installing CUDA and GFX drivers and I didn't need to install any OpenCL patch from MultiBeast (CUDA seems to be working out of the box for me, at least CaptureOne uses GPU at full speed)

2. Why not use iMac 12,1(?) system definitions?
- after choosing this, my first SW update was around 500MB and downloaded a lot of stuff related to this system definition - when I used MacPro, the update wasn't that big

3. Do you have problems with sleep?
- I use Apple USB keyboard and Apple Bluetooth keyboard. My system doesn't sleep automatically. When I manually put it to sleep I can wake it up by hitting any key on any of the keyboards - but after that I can't use keyboard at all, it's not registered, the same goes for BT keyboard.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

1. Well, I don't think it is mandatory to install those drivers. It should work properly only with the "Graphics Enabler=No" parameter from multibeast. Also, I'm not sure which option is better. Guess we could compare our benchmark results and check :thumbup:

2. Because I got lower scores on benchmark. Also, I heard about this "popping noise" issue from people using the iMac 12,1 definition and I want to avoid it.

3. Did you connect the keyboard to the rear USB 3.0 port? Did you try to enable the "Power on by Keyboard" option on BIOS?

Great post. You really helped me out. I have the same set up as you, only I have the 670. Some things that I have noticed is I can only boot in -x mod, launchpad is really horrible, and I can't install CUDA. Any thoughts?

Great post. You really helped me out. I have the same set up as you, only I have the 670. Some things that I have noticed is I can only boot in -x mod, launchpad is really horrible, and I can't install CUDA. Any thoughts?

So, let me see if I got this straight. You manage to install OSX using onboard hdmi and after installing the GTX 670 card you can't boot, except using safe mode?

Did you enable the "GraphicsEnabler=No" on Multibeast before installing the Card?

I hope not, but I think you will experience the problem of usb eject after waking up.

Try to insert a usb thumb drive, put it on sleep and wake up..

(I'm asking you cause I'm planning to change my GA-H61N-USB3 with your mobo)

I have noticed that only my monitor was sleeping. Now that I setup the machine to sleep properly, I got no video signal when I try to wake it up. All devices connected to usb does not work. My keyboard have backlit, that does not light up. The external Hard-Disk light is off too. The strange thing is that: when I move the mouse, the gpu and case fans starts working but no video signal. :banghead:

I did graphicsenabler=no in mulitbeast then reinstalled the 670 and now can only boot in safe mode

V310 - I built the same system with your specifications. Everything works! I haven't had any boot-up problems. Never have but I have only been up and running for a couple of hours.

I haven't over clocked yet but will try your settings in a couple of days when I feel things are running stable under the default setting.

I did not add the Fake SMC. Did install the NVDIA drivers but not the Cuda Driver (yet). Haven't done the Open CL patch yet either. Also on 3,1.

Everything is working wonderfully so far. I will keeps things the same for now then see if I can tweak performance.

Thanks for these instructions! They were really helpful!!!

Mutlibeast says FakeSMC is mandatory. I don't think I installed it and yet everything works. Hmmm.

One difference for me is that I already had 10.7 on my SSD. I ran the Mountain Lion updater and it brought me to 10.8.2. The process was very smooth.

FakeSMC is there. My bad.

For some reason CUDA always fails to install on my rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back