Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok, first attempt. Complete noob. I can not get into the setup for OSX using iboot. I get an instant reboot when I don't specify -x but if I do it works it's way along for a while and then reboots. I used -v and the last strings I see are:

efi_inject_get_deprop_string NULL trying stringdata
ACPI table not found:DSDT.aml
ACPI table not found:SSDT.aml
FADT:Restart fix applied!

Then it reboots... Any ideas?? This is a pentium 4 system by IBM (has an IBM mobo).
I want to get familiar with the setup process before I dump the money in a new sys (i5).

I forgot to mention these strings are right after the memory and processor info/checks.

try with iboot legacy.

seems like the opposite of what it should do, but testing it out on old hardware will actually do you no good for when you come to install it on a newer system as the methods used for the old will be different from that of the new.

Tried legacy as well. That won't even load into iboot.

I'm just trying to get a feel for it all before I drop the money.

a feel for the os, or a feel for the method of installing it?

if its the first, go to the apple store and test the macs out in there.
if its the second, then just spend the money.

sounds easy for someone else to say when its not their money, but i did just that after a load of messing about with a system which was alot more compatible than yours.

having the hardware that works oob from the start makes everything so much easier. it isnt really a risk if youve got the right parts.

A feel for installing OSX on non apple hardware. I've seen plenty of problem with people using supported hardware. Every system is different.

It is easy to say that when it's not your money. I appreciate the help though.

Any other ideas?

I'm just trying to get a feel for it all before I drop the money.

If you build using the exact same hardware [and RETAIL Apple DVD] that others have success with, you should get a working system immediately after you reboot after using Multibeast. In addition to the Instructions in Tonymac 's BLOG, there are good build/install guides folks have posted here on this forum using many different hardware combinations.
My build was successful OOB [out of the box-worked first time]

You might find it helpful to look at some of the videos folks have posted on utube. I'm sorry that I can't point you at a good one. Many are******!

You may not find the frustration of trying to get a working system with unproven hardware worth the learning experience. Your choice. Good luck with your build.

This is simple. I don't want to drop the money until I am familiar enough with this install process. I want to understand the whole thing more. I am a BMW Master Technician and I drive a 1989 BMW 325is. I rebuilt that car. I have reused/recycled old parts to restore this car. When it comes to computers its the same. I have a IBM tower that I installed a beta version of Windows 7 on before the release and used this as a HTPC for a while. I have it now and don't want to buy something else at the moment. I want to get a good feeling for the installation process as well as what ever tweaking it takes to get to a solid build. If I had to guess most of you didn't just jump out there and drop the money on this right away. I assume that most of you (like me) have been interested in this for quite sometime. I doubt that most everyone on here has bought a comp and used the iboot method for their first build. Many have attempted it before and been successful. Bottom line...If I can't get it to boot into the OSX installation program maybe this isn't a good idea for me to drop $600+ into a computer. I plan to build something close to the customac mini build with an intel i5. But this is what i have now.

Back to my error. I have ruled out the hard drive (it was formatted for windows). I installed a fresh one and I get the same errors. I tried to run the setup without -x and I think I get a better feel for the error messages. It would seem that the onboard video isn't supported? Can someone verify? I have an ATI card I can put in... but I don't know if thats supported.

Attachments

• photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 156
What everyone is saying is get the right parts and it works (I did and it works).

You are asking people to provide time and expertise for a system that is unknown and that is problematic. Did you qualify your system in any way for compatibility or you just trying what you have with the expectation that we can make it work? Good luck with your build I found my build easy with the right hardware.

If you want to know if components have worked for others, SEARCH is your friend.
Search this forum and others, there are many[Use your favorite search engines]. Beware however, because a component worked in some combination with others, it might not work is all combinations. The video card is one of the more critical components. The lack of a suitable video card has been the problem for many.
Good luck with your searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back