Graphics
GTX670 FTW
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've had my hackintosh running perfectly for a little over a day and then suddenly every minute or so five of these error messages show up. It happens even when I unplug all my usb devices. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any advice? Thanks
Screen Shot 2012-10-25 at 8.00.42 PM.png
I have been reading that it might mean a bad mobo...but i am really hoping that isn't the case!

(if the image is too small to read, it says 'Because a USB device was drawingtoo much power from your computer, one ormore of your USB devices havebeen disabled. o prevent damaging your computer, the USB device drawing too much power has been disabled. When you disconnect the device drawing too much power, your other usb devices will be enabled again'

Located a fix on TonyMac...I too had the issue
I swapped HDs and that caused the problem! My machine has 1250 watt Platinum PS. Unbeknownst to me, the replacement drive apparently has a slightly larger power draw: ergo the USB error. The fix is to power down, turn off the power supply, unplug the power cord. Wait about 5 minutes then power up.

Wow.

I encountered the issue last night and it persists into today. I have not tried the unplugging method but will when I finish work. Will this power draw issue come up again, necessitating the unplug and replug method? My PSU is a monster, just as yours is. There should not be any problem powering these USB ports. Seems like a software issue, perhaps an injection of a previous kext?

I had this issue too for a while, even after unplugging every USB device I could (inc. keyboard and mouse) the message still popped up every few minutes.

It was only after I did something else that screwed up my system and had to re-install that the problem went away. Pretty sure I did a bios update before the re-install so I put the problem down to a dodgy version of the BIOS. Whatever the cause its never happened since.

I would check whether you're running the latest bios for your board but remember, depending on the model, you may need to check that there is a compatible DSDT for your board AND whichever BIOS version is current.

I have a Gigabyte Z77 board and these don't require a DSDT so I can basically update the BIOS as soon as a new one becomes available.

Hope that works for you!

I had this issue too for a while, even after unplugging every USB device I could (inc. keyboard and mouse) the message still popped up every few minutes.

It was only after I did something else that screwed up my system and had to re-install that the problem went away. Pretty sure I did a bios update before the re-install so I put the problem down to a dodgy version of the BIOS. Whatever the cause its never happened since.

I would check whether you're running the latest bios for your board but remember, depending on the model, you may need to check that there is a compatible DSDT for your board AND whichever BIOS version is current.

I have a Gigabyte Z77 board and these don't require a DSDT so I can basically update the BIOS as soon as a new one becomes available.

Hope that works for you!

miv79, et All:

As to BIOS updates - I used to say sure thing get the latest one... but now these New UEFI BIOS can effect the Hacks functionality.

So - research is the best key here - see what others have been using and their results.
The strange thing is that GA used to just leave the old BIOS on the support site but now for UEFI BIOS they seem to get removed.

So for these new Z77 MB I would not jump to the latest version of the UEFI BIOS.

Here is a link that TheLostswede posted http://www.tonymacx86.com/175-new-uefi-updates-gigabyte-s-high-end-z77-boards.html

Also we have the Orginal TonyMacx86 post on using HS UEFI BIOS settings
http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html

Oooh cra*, don't think I've seen those topics before, thanks for pointing them out! Apologies to the OP if I've given poor advice... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back