Contribute
Register

USB-C Hotplug Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked ... they had a value of FF (both SS and HS)...

255 is wrong for external ports.
Your _UPC implementation must be wrong.

I took anther look at Jhax01's IO reg and he had vales of 09 for both SS and HS ..

Yeah, 9 is USB type C with switch.
Refer to the ACPI spec (_UPC) for additional info.

I have since found that if I plug my charger in briefly, the port becomes available again -- of course, this depends on whether or not your device charges through the TB3 port.

I can charge the laptop through either of the ports .... thats worked ok since i first installed OSX, but charger hack does not seem to wake the port back up for me.

The normal behavior for me is that if I leave my adapter plugged in, I can swap any number of times with different USB devices and the express card icon stays put. If I remove the USB C adapter the express card icon disappears after a couple seconds and will reappear if I plug in another device.

Now that is interesting ... i just tried keeping the type A adapter in and i can mount and unmount USB Type A Devices at will ... this is a good step forward for me .. not ideal but usable ... so in this respect my system is now working the same as yours.

However if i plug in my 3.1 USB SSD (Native Type C) i can only do it once, after that the port seems to be dead, shame the charge hack does not work ...

Are you hotpatching and are you renaming DSMs? I'm fully hotpatched on my device and leaving the oem DSMs in, meaning no DSM to XDSM rename. I wonder if your device is having difficulty because it's missing a DSM it needs?

I'm not hot patching the _DSM's i manually patched DSDT and SSDT (_DSM -> XDSM) ... I think as Rehabman suggested we need to find a way to keep the TB Controller powered UP .. although it seems it will power up the 1st time .. i wonder if the _RMV method is leaving the TB controller in a invalid state ?

Jay

@jhax01,

Does your TB/USBC combo port work after sleep/wake ?

Mine does not even i i leave the adapter in ...

Jay

Looking at my IO Reg it shows there are three devices on the PCI TB controller ...

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 17.30.28.png

After the AHCI renames i'm assuming that EP00 & EP01 are the TB3 ports and EP02 is the XHC Port on the TB Controller.
At the moment the my SSDT only deals with EP02 for the USB devices .... I wonder if it a case that we need to add device defs and RMV & WAK methods for all the ports on the TB controller ?

Cheers
Jay

Looking at my IO Reg it shows there are three devices on the PCI TB controller ...

View attachment 276312

After the AHCI renames i'm assuming that EP00 & EP01 are the TB3 ports and EP02 is the XHC Port on the TB Controller.
At the moment the my SSDT only deals with EP02 for the USB devices .... I wonder if it a case that we need to add device defs and RMV & WAK methods for all the ports on the TB controller ?

Cheers
Jay

Compare your ioreg to an iMac17,1 ioreg (for example).

@jhax01,

What SMBIOS are you using .... ? i'm on Macbook Air 7,2 ....Spoofing SKL CPU & GPU ...

I think the time has come for me to work on a new OSX install with maybe a MacBook 14,1 (or MBP 14,2) SMBIOS , Hot Patched rather than static manual patched and configured for native KBL ...

Thanks for all the your help so far .... it a good step forwards ...

Jay

@jhax01,

What SMBIOS are you using .... ? i'm on Macbook Air 7,2 ....Spoofing SKL CPU & GPU ...

I think the time has come for me to work on a new OSX install with maybe a MacBook 14,1 (or MBP 14,2) SMBIOS , Hot Patched rather than static manual patched and configured for native KBL ...

Thanks for all the your help so far .... it a good step forwards ...

Jay

MBP14,1

HotPatching is definitely worth it IMO.

Yup .. i think switching to a SMBIOS with TB3 support is going to be key to getting the USB on my TB/USBC combo to work a bit more reliably ... have been thinking about switching the build to native KBL ... i guess this is another reason.

Are using HWP ? ... if so do you find any improvement with battery life and/or performance ?

Jay

Yup .. i think switching to a SMBIOS with TB3 support is going to be key to getting the USB on my TB/USBC combo to work a bit more reliably ... have been thinking about switching the build to native KBL ... i guess this is another reason.

Are using HWP ? ... if so do you find any improvement with battery life and/or performance ?

Jay

No HWP at the moment. Currently I'm using the Type1Plugin, freq vectors script and xcpm. I've tried it both ways and the xcpm/vector/plugin method produces a good result without any effort. I think if you play with the HWP values it's possible that you might find something that is a good balance of performance/battery, but I'm not convinced it's worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back