MSI Z390-A Pro
CPU
Intel i5 9600k
Graphics
RX 5600 XT (Sapphire Pulse)
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Hey all, I've had my first successful Hackintosh workstation in use for a few months and I couldn't be happier (i5-9600k, MSI Z390-A pro, G.Skill Ripjaws 2x16 & Zotac 1050ti OC, running High Sierra 10.13.6). I feel I'm definitely lacking in the GPU category especially when it comes to gaming on the windows side.

I'd like to upgrade my GPU to an AMD so I can move up to Catalina or maybe even Big Sur, but I was hesitant after hearing lots of horror stories about drivers issues. I know that the October driver update pre-6000 series squashed a lot of bugs. I have two questions:

1. What is the most reliable RX 5500 / 5600 / 5700 XT GPU? I've heard good things about Sapphire as well as Gigabyte.

2. What is driver management like on the mac side? For Nvidia we have the native web driver manager, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent from AMD. So what is the process like when switching between drivers if I'm having issues?

Any experience or advice is appreciated :D

Hey all, I've had my first successful Hackintosh workstation in use for a few months and I couldn't be happier (i5-9600k, MSI Z390-A pro, G.Skill Ripjaws 2x16 & Zotac 1050ti OC, running High Sierra 10.13.6). I feel I'm definitely lacking in the GPU category especially when it comes to gaming on the windows side.

I'd like to upgrade my GPU to an AMD so I can move up to Catalina or maybe even Big Sur, but I was hesitant after hearing lots of horror stories about drivers issues. I know that the October driver update pre-6000 series squashed a lot of bugs. I have two questions:

1. What is the most reliable RX 5500 / 5600 / 5700 XT GPU? I've heard good things about Sapphire as well as Gigabyte.

2. What is driver management like on the mac side? For Nvidia we have the native web driver manager, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent from AMD. So what is the process like when switching between drivers if I'm having issues?

Any experience or advice is appreciated :D
(2) There is no need to setup or install drivers if you use a natively supported graphics card like the RX 5700 XT. MacOS Catalina includes the necessary drivers.

If you are installing Catalina fresh (and not upgrading over High Sierra) then the one thing you definitely need is a specific Clover boot argument to make a RX 5000 series card work on Catalina.

Hi James Bond, Could you tell me what the clover argument is that makes the AMD RX 5000 work.
How can I do to have the AMD video card working inside the Catalina?

Thanks

Hi James Bond, Could you tell me what the clover argument is that makes the AMD RX 5000 work.
How can I do to have the AMD video card working inside the Catalina?

Thanks

agdpmod=pikera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back