Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on these forums! I have an aging but still kicking Z68 build that I've been lazy about updating but am now planning on getting to the latest and greatest. I hear OS upgrades are cake once you're on Clover, so I figure I might as well update to High Sierra now and wait until 10.14.1 or 2 to upgrade to Mojave.

I'm planning to make a good old Unibeast USB and do an upgrade install (not fresh). The big change for me is using Clover instead of Chimera/Chameleon. Back when I did my build, I had to do some DSDT edits and run some startup flags to get my graphics card (ATI 5770) working with HDMI audio. My question is basically is there anything I should expect not to work after the upgrade? Here are some issues I've had (and resolved) in the past that I'm specifically concerned about:
  • SMBios: I always used Mac Pro 3,1, but I believe we can't use this any more. Which one should I be using now?
  • HDMI audio: I don't need it running on my HD3000 integrated graphics, but I'd like it to work on my ATI/AMD Radeon 5770. Is there anything I need to do to set it up—like using my old DSDT—or does it work OOTB now with Clover?
  • Sleep: I had to mess around with darkwake flags in org.chameleon.boot.plist to get sleep working properly back in the day. Do I have to do anything similar with Clover?
  • App Store/iMessage: Do these work as expected OOTB?
  • USB 3.0: Is it possible to get USB 3.0 working on my system? I never bothered trying before, but I'd be interested in getting it going now. According to the Gigabyte webpage my mobo's USB 3.0 ports are run on an "Etron EJ168 chip." Does the non-native chip mean no dice?
  • APFS: Is there any reason not to have the installer convert my OS drive (a Samsung 830 SSD) to APFS from HFS+?
Thanks in advance for the help. I'm making a full system backup with SuperDuper on a spare drive, so I'm not too worried if it takes a few tries, but I thought I'd ask going in so I know what I'm in for!

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on these forums! I have an aging but still kicking Z68 build that I've been lazy about updating but am now planning on getting to the latest and greatest. I hear OS upgrades are cake once you're on Clover, so I figure I might as well update to High Sierra now and wait until 10.14.1 or 2 to upgrade to Mojave.

I'm planning to make a good old Unibeast USB and do an upgrade install (not fresh). The big change for me is using Clover instead of Chimera/Chameleon. Back when I did my build, I had to do some DSDT edits and run some startup flags to get my graphics card (ATI 5770) working with HDMI audio. My question is basically is there anything I should expect not to work after the upgrade? Here are some issues I've had (and resolved) in the past that I'm specifically concerned about:
  • SMBios: I always used Mac Pro 3,1, but I believe we can't use this any more. Which one should I be using now?
  • HDMI audio: I don't need it running on my HD3000 integrated graphics, but I'd like it to work on my ATI/AMD Radeon 5770. Is there anything I need to do to set it up—like using my old DSDT—or does it work OOTB now with Clover?
  • Sleep: I had to mess around with darkwake flags in org.chameleon.boot.plist to get sleep working properly back in the day. Do I have to do anything similar with Clover?
  • App Store/iMessage: Do these work as expected OOTB?
  • USB 3.0: Is it possible to get USB 3.0 working on my system? I never bothered trying before, but I'd be interested in getting it going now. According to the Gigabyte webpage my mobo's USB 3.0 ports are run on an "Etron EJ168 chip." Does the non-native chip mean no dice?
  • APFS: Is there any reason not to have the installer convert my OS drive (a Samsung 830 SSD) to APFS from HFS+?
Thanks in advance for the help. I'm making a full system backup with SuperDuper on a spare drive, so I'm not too worried if it takes a few tries, but I thought I'd ask going in so I know what I'm in for!

(1) For SMBIOS, you should be able to use iMac14,2 / iMac13,2 / iMac12,2. iMac14,2 is the most common setting.
(2) No idea about the HDMI audio. The 5770 itself should still work with High Sierra, but most likely it won't work in Mojave since it does not have Metal support. If you want to run Mojave in the future you will need to get a Metal supported graphics card.
(5) Etron USB3 most likely won't work. So you should consider disabling it in the BIOS.

I would also suggest upgrading the motherboard BIOS to UEFI before you try to install the new OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back