i3-3225
Graphics
Radeon, 3840X2160
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Built my desktop in 2013 with GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H and i3 3225 Ivy Bridge CPU using onboard HD4000 graphics. It has been working solid since then. Now I need to upgrade my monitor, and am looking at either 1440 or 4k resolution. I will need a GPU which is a brand new concept for me. I don't have as much time to play with hacking as I used to, so it needs to be fairly easy to install and preferably with some good guidance (thank you, Forum).

I'm running High Sierra on the desktop and I am usually one of the last people to upgrade. If it's working, I only upgrade when I absolutely have to.

I have read and learned what I can about
  1. AMD/NVIDIA naming systems
  2. current compatibility and the driver wars
  3. which ones should do at least 1440k resolution.
There are budget limits, so I think I have narrowed down the choices to:
  • Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 56
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX56 Gaming
  • MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost OC
  • Sapphire Radeon Rx Vega 64
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 64 Gaming
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming
I guess my questions are:
  1. Will any or all of these work in my current system?
  2. Will any or all of these come close to 4K or should I stick to a 1440k monitor?
  3. Among these are there any best choices based on system compatibility, effort required, and future compatibility?
  4. Any experience getting these to work and how much effort does it take?
And lastly, should I consider upgrading my CPU and if so, what issues will I need to consider in doing so? Are there limits to what this motherboard can handle?

and Thank You!

Last edited:
Will any or all of these come close to 4K or should I stick to a 1440k monitor?
Even a 40 dollar GT 710 will power a 4K display (at 30 Hz). Does 1440p at 60 Hz with no problems. If you've been happy with HD4000 all these years you don't need a Vega card or a GTX 1070 (not Mojave compatible). Do not go with Nvidia Pascal cards if you want compatibility with future versions of macOS. Not likely to happen.

For a low cost card for 4K right now the best value is the AMD RX570. Gigabyte or Sapphire Pulse are good choices there. With rebates they are selling for about $120 at least in the US. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125966&Description=AMD RX 570&cm_re=AMD_RX_570-_-14-125-966-_-Product
All you should need is Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts installed to /L/E.

Here's a great deal on a Sapphire Pulse RX570 (should be near the top of your short list)
At 130 USD it's an excellent option. You'll even be ready for a 5K monitor down the road a bit. Hope that the prices of 5K monitors eventually come down to reasonable levels. Then I'll be buying one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back