Contribute
Register

Upgrading from Mountain Lion to Yosemite - is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD5-FB
CPU
i7-950
Graphics
GTX 760
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
I have been a long time reader of the forum but I still somewhat of a novice in hackintosh knowledge even though I built my hackintosh using Multibeast & Unibeast 3 years ago.

I have ML 10.8.2 and am now considering upgrading to Yosemite. I have gone from ML-Yosemite on my macbook air without any problems but I am attempting this on my hackintosh now.

I have the following spec:

i7 3.1ghz 950
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 Rev: 2 BIOS: FB
12GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence Ram
BFG 768MB 8800GTX
120GB SSD
3TB HDD

Is this even possible to do without going to mavericks first?

I have seen the following guide on this forum but I wasn't sure if this is compatible with ML-Yosemite as its upgrading from Mavericks.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/143917-guide-update-os-x-mavericks-os-x-yosemite-using-unibeast-multibeast.html

I would rather avoid doing a fresh/clean install if possible.

Thanks

Id also like to know if this is possible.

Doing a fresh install would be a real pain.

Hi Folks,

Upgrading from Mountain Lion to Yosemite is possible indeed.
In fact I did just that today on a pretty old machine (i5 750/Gigabyte P55-UD3).
I simply followed the standard procedure (http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-os-x-yosemite-using-unibeast-multibeast.html).

I created a Yosemite Unibeast and installed directly on top of my Mountain Lion (10.8.5) drive.
Since my machine is a senior dude, I needed to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes and PCIRootUID=1 in order to boot.
After about 25 minutes of install, I ran Multibeast, fiddled a bit with the parameters, and finally ended up with a working Yosemite install. All of my previous prefs/apps/files were preserved.
So far all is good; everyhting's working: Audio, USB, Sleep, Graphics

Cheers,

Christian

Thanks for your input ! I was considering the same procedure, so your positive answer is a very welcome one !

Could you guys post your results/problems as you're done ? I consider doing this maybe the next weekend or so.

Thanks a lot !

lol so why the hell i reinstalled mac for getting new OS?

Hello, I was wondering the same thing. I have an older build as well. I have mountain lion and it works great. I wasn't too excited about mavericks, but I think Yosemite has a bit more to offer. When I went to install everything worked great until I went to boot after install. I just saw the loading screen with nothing happening. If someone could shed some light on this it would be highly appreciated. I have a Gigabyte x58 UD3-R 2.0 FB bios. i7-950 and 5870 graphics. I am tempted just to leave it at this point as I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure it out. I'd like to get Yosemite going, but am happy enough with ML.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply! TBH, I'm just fine with ML, but I'm an app developer and I can't get all the things to work that I need to because I haven't upgraded.

I don't look forward to this upgrade, as I had a few problems getting things working right last time, but Apple won't let the latest Xcode and several other things work on ML.

One of the things I hate about Apple vs MicroSoft is that Apple makes their products stop working with newer software and they don't seem to care about support of older products.

Right now, I need to use Square (credit card processing app), and it won't work unless you have iOS 7. Yet my two iPod Touch test devices (cost near $600) won't run iOS7 and now I have to go buy something else just to get things to work.

Apple really pushes people to spend more money on their products... (the whole reason I have a Hackintosh to begin with)

Did you have any success with this? I'm in the exact same boat as a developer. Love ML but feel the need to upgrade. I don't really want to go through the hassle of installing over again and was hoping I could just update from the app store. Any help would be appreciated.

Upgrading from Lion 10.7.5 to yosemite is possible?

Hi Christian,

I want to upgrade my hack from Moutain Lion to Yosemite….sthg you have already done.

I would rather avoid to save all my personal files and want to be sure of loosing nothing during the upgrade (Seems possible for you?)

In one of your post you wrote that you installed Yosemite unibeast on top of your mountain Lion Drive => What do you mean by that?

Thank you very much for your even little help.

bnj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back