Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mavericks

So are you saying, SlimJimi, that the audio on Yosemite is an improvement over your audio with Maverick? No clicks or static?

And an important question for anyone with this board: how is the thunderbolt port working, as in with external drives???

Thanks, n.m.

What he's saying is if you want to hear any sound when tapping the volume keys you have to turn ON that sound:

Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 1.19.29 PM.png
Yosemite turned that sound OFF by default... just to confuse all of us trying to get our sound working :think:

BTW- I can't get the sound to play through my desktop speakers, just through the monitor's built-in speakers.

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mavericks

Ok, I read Toleda's great masterpiece on all things Realtek... http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/112461-mavericks-no-audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.html and found the relevant section for my case.

My Audio ID was 0 when I should have had a 1, 2 or 3. I use Clover so I found his relevant Clover section that led me to this PDF file https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALCInjection/blob/master/[Guide]-Add_HDEF-Clover.pdf which showed me how to add the Audio ID into the config file for Clover. I used TextWrangler to edit the config file as described and viola! I now have audio working with the original unpatched AppleHDA.kext from Apple and not from Multibeast 7.0

EDIT: Toleda responded to another post of mine and he says that Pacifist does not "not extract a complete native AppleHDA.kext," so I might not have an "original unpatched AppleHDA.kext" as I thought. Read it for yourself here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...te-100-working-but-no-sound-2.html#post895692

I realize that not everybody will want to do this. But, the easiest way to fix sound is via a USB sound adapter. It works OOTB and is just plug and play. Works on both Windows and Mac and you'll never have any more issues about reinstalling sound drivers or anything.

Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/

I realize that not everybody will want to do this. But, the easiest way to fix sound is via a USB sound adapter. It works OOTB and is just plug and play. Works on both Windows and Mac and you'll never have any more issues about reinstalling sound drivers or anything.

Check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/

That's a good idea for most users. For me, USB microphone inputs do handle the 96Khz that I use to RIP my old LP collection. :thumbdown:

Upgraded to Yosemite. Now I experience a few glitches.
The main one that is annoying is Parallel (V10) software will lock up if/when my wife and I switch users.
Occasionally I'll be booted out of my login and brought right back in, all on its own out of now where.

Are any others experiencing these with Yosemite with this build? Any settings I need to tweak?

I also found many bugs in 10.10. If you are running any production workloads, you might want to wait until 10.10.1 before upgrading.

Also, I found many settings turned on by default which aren't privacy friendly as well as excessive phoning home to Apple (for more than any previous version of OS X) by the OS.

All I can say is all the contributors to this site deserve a big round of applause. After some late night frustration with nothing working on the upgrade I started fresh and, well, everything works that matter so far. It's early in the piece but ...

Process:

• Repair permissions.
  • Copy drive to spare ... also completed Time machine backup.
  • Followed upgrade recommendations from http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-os-x-yosemite-using-unibeast-multibeast.html with some minor changes. No FileNVRAM.dylib to delete or kernel strings.
  • Install USB built in Mavericks from App store download with Unibeast 5.0.1.
  • Boot to Yosemite USB install.
  • Install over Mavericks 10.9.5
  • Reboot straight to install disk.
  • Network working (this is an older Mavericks driver not the latest due to hang issues in Mavericks- at the moment which one evades me but the one that work on Mavericks).
  • No Trim or sound initially.
  • Ran MultiBeast 7.0.1 and used Chameleon 4, Kext Dev Mode, 898 Audio and TRIM drivers.
  • NO boot flags required.
  • Repair permissions.
  • Hello Yosemite :D

So, Audio works after sleep. Audio still has the "Internal Speakers" from Mavericks. NTFS for OSX still works on Mavericks version with no update, TRIM, Networking ... all running.

Initial thoughts are boot is slower, but Yosemite is quicker than the latest version of Mavericks but I haven't done any production work on it yet. This is a reasonable fast machine though (specs below in signature).

Next thing is to see if I can start running my dual screens of the HD4890 only rather than across the HD4890 and on board Intel 4000 graphics.

Will be donating as this was easily the easiest upgrade path of them all but I might just be getting better at the process.

Thanks to all involved on Tony X86 ... Big Ups to you all.

Update - Audio is exhibiting the sleep no audio on wake up issue. A manual sleep and wake up returns audio. Further Logitech performance mouse is exhibiting some strange issues. Firstly, there are two mouse shown in the mouse panel and the scroll works sometimes and then zooms screens on others.

I also found many bugs in 10.10. If you are running any production workloads, you might want to wait until 10.10.1 before upgrading.

Also, I found many settings turned on by default which aren't privacy friendly as well as excessive phoning home to Apple (for more than any previous version of OS X) by the OS.
Installation of a new OS X is for Early Adopters that are willing to take risks which is why I installed Yosemite on test drives or partitions. I don't update my production installations until .3 or .4 of the OS X (in this case, Yosemite); by then, Apple has fixed the bugs and/or security problems.

No, I didn't/won't switch to Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back