Contribute
Register

Unified AppleIntelFramebufferCapri for Ivy ProBooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those interested I purchased this DVI to HDMI adapter. It's a good replacement for the VGA port. No patches needed. Everything works like a charm. I didn't test audio.
Good to know, but i wanted to keep this topic strictly about HD4000, so it doesn't get even more confusing, RM can you fix that, thx.

Is there a command to select any bit, example:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x04\x06\x00\x00\x00\x??\x00\x00\x81
where "?" is any?

That might help me to make a script where you could re-patch your memory regardless how is currently set.
No one really knows that?
I have been looking around and experimenting a bit, but without success... Without that or someone that knows an alternative i can do only basic scripts that would need a vanilla (at-least form the memory assignment side of things) kext in order to work.

Maybe I will do that, if you are interested and think is good enough...

No one really knows that?
I have been looking around and experimenting a bit, but without success... Without that or someone that knows an alternative i can do only basic scripts that would need a vanilla (at-least form the memory assignment side of things) kext in order to work.

Maybe I will do that, if you are interested and think is good enough...

Perl is a complete scripting language, so I'm sure it could be done, but I don't really know Perl.
I'm sure there a tutorial to be found...

Search google (sorry) for this. Also, sed could do that as well. But I don't know straight answer.
You see all it takes is a bit of collaboration :). I found something on your links that helped me...

So this would be done like this:
Goal we want to achieve (where ? is any)
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x04\x06\x00\x00\x00\x[COLOR=#ff0000][B]??[/B][/COLOR]\x00\x00\x81|\x04\x06\x00\x00\x00\x08\x00\x00\x81|' ~/Desktop/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri

Solution

syntax 1:

Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x04\x06\x00\x00\x00[COLOR=#ff0000].{1}[/COLOR]\x00\x00\x81|\x04\x06\x00\x00\x00\x08\x00\x00\x81|' ~/Desktop/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri
or syntax 2 (it seems | == /)
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's/\x04\x06\x00\x00\x00[COLOR=#ff0000].{1}[/COLOR]\x00\x00\x81/\x04\x06\x00\x00\x00\x08\x00\x00\x81/' ~/Desktop/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri

This script does nothing useful it was just my didactic exercice on a simple example, the potentially useful one for changing memory allocation is coming in the next days, if someone doesn't do it before me... the info is all here ;)

Script to change the memory allocation regardless of the AAPL,ig-platform-id you are using (it changes them all):
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x00.{1}\x10\x07\x00\x00\x10\x07|\x00\x[COLOR=#ff0000][B]??[/B][/COLOR]\x10\x07\x00\x00\x10\x07|g' ~/Desktop/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri
Change the red ?? with the red number bellow to set the desired amount of VRAM:
10 = 256MB of RAM
= 384MB of RAM
20 = 512MB of RAM
30 = 768MB of RAM
40 = 1024MB of RAM

Copy your current AppleIntelFramebufferCapri to desktop, for faster experimenting:
Code:
sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext ~/Desktop/

You are welcome to try other values for VRAM allocation, the numbers in read are tested by me without issues and I believe 10 represents 0MB so don't go that low. Please leave your feedback here, of new discoveries.

If you know of a tool that makes heavy use of VRAM (or a benchmark), please share, so we can test this method for good.

If you know of a tool that makes heavy use of VRAM (or a benchmark), please share, so we can test this method for good.

Its not a tool or a benchmark. But I was able to use 80 of my VRAM doing some simple image processing in FinalCut. I'm going to see if I can find some higher res images and videos to see if I can max it out.
(Image VRAM with ~200 2592 × 1944 images loaded)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 2.26.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 2.26.29 PM.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 193
Its not a tool or a benchmark. But I was able to use 80 of my VRAM doing some simple image processing in FinalCut. I'm going to see if I can find some higher res images and videos to see if I can max it out.
(Image VRAM with ~200 2592 × 1944 images loaded)
I managed to go up to 450MB loading some huge NASA images in photoshop too, but yeah if there would be something more reliable and easier to load it up to 1GB....

I managed to go up to 450MB loading some huge NASA images in photoshop too, but yeah if there would be something more reliable and easier to load it up to 1GB....
The best I could get was 90% but I think doing the hack and then loading the same project and loading more files will show if we can indeed use the extra VRAM. It would be nice if someone could write a script to fill the VRAM with data and see how much it can really hold.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 3.15.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 3.15.02 PM.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 199
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back