Contribute
Register

Unable to boot to OS X partition, have to use the UNIBeast to install

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your OS X drives root? On some Asus boards it may be 1 rather than 0 - if this is the case then you will need to change the disk to disk1 in the guide steps. I recommend only having your OS X and USB drives connected for this step.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115818-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Hmm... If I go to Terminal and type "Diskutil list":
disk1 = partition
Disk1s1 = EFI - EFI
disk1s2 = Apple_HFS - OSX Boot
disk1s3 = Apple_BOOT - Recovery HD

I will try disconnecting everything while I get more input from you guys.

Do you agree with the steps below?

1. Install OSX Yosemite via Multibeast USB
  2. When it's installed I restart and boot into OS X via the USB Installer
  3. I install Multibeast (including Chimera 4.0.1)
  4. I unplug all drives
  5. Try to boot into OS X BOOT partition without any drives and USB pen

Bonus question: Do you think I need any special settings with my hardware other than the "easy/standard" setting in step 3?

(my current installation lost it's netcard. How does that happen.. never mind I'm reinstalling again)

Hmm... If I go to Terminal and type "Diskutil list":
disk1 = partition
Disk1s1 = EFI - EFI
disk1s2 = Apple_HFS - OSX Boot
disk1s3 = Apple_BOOT - Recovery HD

I will try disconnecting everything while I get more input from you guys.

When you do install the bootloader and Extra to the EFI partition, change the disk to disk1 for your motherboard/SSD
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115818-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Do you agree with the steps below?

1. Install OSX Yosemite via Multibeast USB
  2. When it's installed I restart and boot into OS X via the USB Installer
  3. I install Multibeast (including Chimera 4.0.1)
  4. I unplug all drives
  5. Try to boot into OS X BOOT partition without any drives and USB pen
Here is how I would list installation

1. Install Yosemite by following the 10.10 Guide (Use Step 2, 3 and Step 4):
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
2. Follow Step 5 (Post Installation) Use MultiBeast options DSDT Free and your ethernet codec option (Only install one option)
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/specifications/
(Not sure that your audio is supported in OS X?)
3. Restart computer and follow the guide to move the Extra folder and bootloader to your installation drive EFI partition. Remember that were the guide uses disk0 - you must change this to disk1.
4. Test booting without your USB drive plugged in.

Bonus question: Do you think I need any special settings with my hardware other than the "easy/standard" setting in step 3?

If you mean 'easyBeast' - then it is incorrect. Use DSDT Free - read the descriptions in the bottom box when you highlight an option. Select Your Ethernet codec from the options and build. Nothing else is required at this stage. Audio can be added once your build is stable and running correctly.

(my current installation lost it's netcard. How does that happen.. never mind I'm reinstalling again)

Is this ethernet or wifi - disconnect any wifi cards while you install OS X.

When you write that I should select "Ethernet" codec, which should I choose? Because I can't find it in the motherboard specs.

At the first boot of OS X I have sound (via USB sound card), great picture and everything seems to be running fine already. Could it make sense that I don't actually need Multibeast?

When you write that I should select "Ethernet" codec, which should I choose? Because I can't find it in the motherboard specs.

Listed under LAN

At the first boot of OS X I have sound (via USB sound card), great picture and everything seems to be running fine already. Could it make sense that I don't actually need Multibeast?

Audio will work fine via a USB audio device as OS X has USB audio support. Install DSDT Free option and reboot - do you still have ethernet?

As I wrote, if I select the OS X HDD it boots into Windows.

I've also tried installing Chimera when booted into OS X via the USB Pen.

My BIOS is set to UEFI. I think I read to do that in a guide somewhere.

You should have to use Legacy BIOS mode if you are using Chimera.

My suggestion is to use CLOVER as your bootloader. CLOVER will support UEFI Booting to OS X as well as Legacy.

Below guide will help you to install CLOVER (See Step 4)

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

I can boot now from the HD without the USB Drive :)

The remaining critical problems are:
  • I have no network (LAN as I don't have Wireless adapter). I took the option closest to my LAN card which is AppleIGB v5.2.9.4 because I read it supported i210 and i211. The LAN card on my motherboard is "Intel® I217V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)"
  • My Apple bluetooth keyboard cannot be used to login with as I can't get further than the first prompt without an USB keyboard. (Could this be fixed by somehow forcing autologin? Maybe not possible with iCloud login)
    EDIT: Sometimes the bluetooth works in the login window. About every other time... It makes little sense to me that the outcome isn't the same every time

The remaining non-critical problems that I can live with are:

• The harddisk boots now, but now crashes with this screen some of the times, so I typically have to try a few times. This is the screen where the boot process freezes: https://imgur.com/ZhTqkYm
  • I have no sound via the motherboard (but I have a USB soundcard that I can use instead that works)
  • Mouse is choppy - it doesn't "read" the mouse movements every 5 seconds or so. So if I'm in a fluent motion it will get cut, but I can live with that
  • If I use DVI from my 280x I have to disconnect, then reconnect the DVI. I'm using HDMI which is lower quality visibly, but I can live with that.

I want to thank you all for your help so far. It's been a couple of years before I tried a hackintosh on this site and you have moved forward a lot!

It would be nice to get the critical errors sorted out, so I'd appreciate if you could help me with those :)

I've done several installations the last couple of days to get a stable version of OS X Yosemite. I can see now that I was spoiled with the first installation because it ran as stable as a rock!

The one thing that was wrong with that installation (and the reason I reinstalled) was that I can't get the OS X partition to boot by itself. Each and every installation I have to boot via the Unibeast USB drive, then point it to the OS X partition.

There are many posts on this, but I must be misunderstanding them all, because I can't get it to work.

Specs:
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Asus 280x
i5 cpu
8 gb ram
Yosemite OSX install
On this board, as on several Asus boards, the BIOS prevents Legacy booting from GPT+ drives. To overcome this, mount your HDD/SSD EFI partition and move your /Extra folder and the boot file found in the OS X root to the EFI partition. You may need "ShowAllFiles" app or use terminal to show and find the boot file. You may also have to copy the files rather than move them, then delete them from the OS X root once they are in the EFI partition. Once you have them in the EFI partition, reboot without the USB drive.
Post results.

On this board, as on several Asus boards, the BIOS prevents Legacy booting from GPT+ drives. To overcome this, mount your HDD/SSD EFI partition and move your /Extra folder and the boot file found in the OS X root to the EFI partition. You may need "ShowAllFiles" app or use terminal to show and find the boot file. You may also have to copy the files rather than move them, then delete them from the OS X root once they are in the EFI partition. Once you have them in the EFI partition, reboot without the USB drive.
Post results.

But isn't that what I've just done in this guide linked by Adrian? (http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115818-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back