Contribute
Register

U310 Wifi Problems Anyone fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 9280 is not a combo card. I just checked and saw that I was getting 117 down. My laptop is 1 floor down and on the opposite side of the house.

Just placed an order for the same card you have. Lets see if i can get better luck. I think this card in general might have a low tx power value.

Just placed an order for the same card you have. Lets see if i can get better luck. I think this card in general might have a low tx power value.

good luck

I swapped out the card today with the same model as yours and its working PERFECT. Getting full signal 2 floors up whereas before i was getting weak signal on 1 floor up.
thanks allot for your help.

I swapped out the card today with the same model as yours and its working PERFECT. Getting full signal 2 floors up whereas before i was getting weak signal on 1 floor up.

Glad it worked out. The 9280 is a faster card than the 9285 anyways and works without any dsdt edits. :). Get a Bluetooth dongle if you need it.

Hey guys,

I am Kostas, new at this forum. I just bought a new U310 Ultrabook and unfortunately it has the same known wifi problems. I did the BIOS mod, and swapped the wifi card with a AR9280 like recommended in one thread here. I also bought some shielding foil. In this thread in this forum you said that your Ultrabook works perfect now with the new wifi card and the additional shielding foil.

Would it be possible that you could show me exactly where I have to put the foil? I do not want to do that wrong. If possible, a picture would be great.

If you could help me, it would be more than wonderful. I need my U310 for work urgently.

Many thanks and with he best wishes :))))

Kostas

I tried the foil paper suggestion, I does not work. In fact, it has no technical reason to support this solution.

I still think the metallic/aluminum cover of U310/U410 shield the radio wave reception. The antenna cable travels to the screen hinge(left & right) then seems to be hidden between the screen and the aluminum top cover, as you can see from this video (@1:14):
[video=youtube;9sTKdU59Ftw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sTKdU59Ftw[/video]

U410_antenna.jpg

On the other side, this thread explains more details about laptop antenna design vs. reception quality.

http://electronics.stackexchange.co...oes-a-wifi-antenna-work-in-full-metal-laptops

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...s-new-kind-of-logo-antenna-for-portables.html

Comparing with macbook air's antenna location, " Since the AirPort/Bluetooth board is mounted inside the all-metal case of this machine, Apple added an antenna that is mounted on the frame for the optical drive opening. Pretty clever!" [@ifixit]
jqerf.jpg

So after these analysis and investigation, the antenna header should not have been put between the aluminum cover and glass screen, both are quite dense and prevent radio wave transmission.

Would it be better to put at the boundary plastic frame of the keyboard?

Also I don't understand the metalic header plate, which antenna thread welded on, how the shape/form could influence the reception? what shape/form/dimension would be design to get optimal reception?

U410_2.jpg

Glad it worked out. The 9280 is a faster card than the 9285 anyways and works without any dsdt edits. :). Get a Bluetooth dongle if you need it.

Hey,

which kext you use for the 9280 on your u310?

Thanks a lot rehabman :)

I have found the Atheros AR9280 on Ebay .

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Atheros-AR92...opAccessories_PCMCIACards&hash=item43d27e1fcc

In the info is written that this card can not be used in Lenovo laptops . It is listed on the whitelist .
Currently I have installed the AR9285 and a very , very bad connection (download : 20-30kbs : D ) .

I need a good wifi card for my U310 to make him a super hackbook :)
Otherwise everything works perfectly

ikkoku : Can you give me a link to your card that you have installed ?
( Unfortunately, I can not send private messages , because I wrote only 5 post 's :( )

Thanks a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back