Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone, after seeing some other people on the site do it I'm going to tackle a G4 cube and bring it back to life.

I read great posts by MacTester57, BoomR, sleppek, and eelhead. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that got me motivated. to do this.

So I'm still in the process of trying to get a Cube, nothing in my area on craigslist so I've gone to ebay to look, people want crazy amounts of money for them, must know how rare and awesome they are. Once I buy the case I'm pretty much lost after that, need lots of advice on what parts fit, and work the best for what I want.

First off budget, I would like to be finished with this for under $1,000. I'm getting married in June and really cannot throw all my money at it at the moment.

Specs I was thinking:
Ivy Bridge i5 ~ $220,
8GB RAM ~ $40,
60-120GB SSD ~$100,
500-1TB HD ~ $80 (if I can make it fit, if not an external is always an option, and I own a 3TB external already).
I don't need discrete graphics as I already have a retina MBP that I can use for all my graphical needs.
I think a slimline Blu-Ray would be nice, if not possible a DVD can do. Or I can have neither since I don't NEED to use either of those. I just think it'd be nice to use it as a media center if I wanted to.
I would also like to use the original speaker (I think they look cool) I think I read there may be a power issue with doing that though, but there is a work around?

So about me. I'm a web developer so I use photoshop all day long. I generally never turn off my computer. I was thinking this might double up as a server, maybe be used to backup my laptops onto an external drive. I could also turn it into a download machine. I know I could get 'real' use from my fiancée - once we're married - with school work or whatever it is that non-techie people use computers for.

So any advice would be much appreciated and I will keep everyone up to date once I start purchasing and building. I should be getting a very large paycheck from some contract work I did right at the end of the year and was planning on getting the money from that so I'm only about a month out from being able to purchase everything!

Thank you so much in advance for all your help.

Ahh Thanks!

I just moved my post to Case Mods based on DBP's advice. So can a Moderator please delete this? Thanks so much! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back