Contribute
Register

Trying to keep the cost down. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Ipad
CPU
A-5
Graphics
Na
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
According to The gigabyte website this ram is not compatible with a GA - Z77 - DS3H.

Also Will this combination work for ML 10.8.x?
GA-Z77-DS3H ($109 Newegg)
i5 3570k (219 Amazon)
Evga GeForce GTX 560 Ti (165 Craigslist)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (51 Amazon)
Kingston SSDNow 128 GB SATA III 6 GB/s SSD (amazon 81)
CX 430-Watt (Newegg 45)
Wifi TP-Link PCI Express Adapter (amazon 31)
Mac osx ML (20)
Windows 7 (amazon 70)
And Magic track pad (amazon 40)
Total: $860

Can anyone give me tips on how to reduce my cost? What things will go well with each other? Which will not go well with each other?

You also need a bluetooth adapter for the trackpad.

I would not choose that board, mainly for the ethernet. I would stick to one with a Realtek ethernet chip. I have built 9 hackintosh's and I can say Realteks are the easiest to configure. A z77 board is fine if you're going to OC, if not, an H77 is fine and might be cheeper. I looked at all the Z77 boards and I don't know that I would personally choose any of them. The only one that meets my sound and ethernet requirements is the GA-Z77N-WIFI, but it is a smaller Mini-ITX board. Realtek ALC8xx audio and Realtek Ethernet are two things always look for in a board. I like small computers, and I like the Mini-ITX form factor alot, but it isn't for everyone. The 3rd gen intel i series CPUs and 7 series motherboards should support USB 3 no problem. I might suggest a 6xx series GPU since they are officially supported under ML. If I am building from scratch, I have found it worth the money to buy the most officially supported hardware possible. It pays of in the long run. For a Bluetooth chip, I would suggest building your own with real Apple bluetooth modules. I order mine from Gainsaver.com. I followed this guide, it works for wake from sleep and everything. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...ng-apple-bluetooth-module-in-your-hackintosh/

Are you saying that with a TP-Link Wifi Card, I wont be able to get internet/Ethernet? I don't really need ethernet yet.

And sound. I've read that sounds works on the Ga Z77 DS3H. Do you disagree? If it doesn't, then I don't want to buy it.

Thanks for your time! you're very helpful

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
According to The gigabyte website this ram is not compatible with a GA - Z77 - DS3H.

Also Will this combination work for ML 10.8.x?
GA-Z77-DS3H ($109 Newegg)
i5 3570k (219 Amazon)
Evga GeForce GTX 560 Ti (165 Craigslist)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (51 Amazon)
Kingston SSDNow 128 GB SATA III 6 GB/s SSD (amazon 81)
CX 430-Watt (Newegg 45)
Wifi TP-Link PCI Express Adapter (amazon 31)
Mac osx ML (20)
Windows 7 (amazon 70)
And Magic track pad (amazon 40)
Total: $860

Can anyone give me tips on how to reduce my cost? What things will go well with each other? Which will not go well with each other?

Reduce cost? The first thing I would think of is to use a cheaper graphics card. Do you need the power of the 560? If not you can consider a cheaper card like the GT640.

I just bought this board also based on the suggestions on Customac. What board do you recommend? Should I return it?

I just bought this board also based on the suggestions on Customac. What board do you recommend? Should I return it?

The GA-Z77-DS3H is recommended here because all hardware on it are compatible with OSX. You do not need to return it unless it has a hardware problem.

Great newegg just deliver many boxes to my house today. Like Xmas.

Moved to the correct forum section. tonymacx86 forum index

Desktop Compatibility -> Buying Advice (forum sections)​

Desktop Compatibility ==Pre installation compatibility for existing systems

Buying Advice == for yet to be purchased system planning

----------------------------> Forum Rules <--

Did you get all your components already? There is a good deal on the MSI Z77 motherboard on Newegg for $65 after rebates(check out kduvernay thread on z77 mobos). If you have a micro center near you, they are selling the 3570k for $189+tax and if you really want to stay with gigabyte mobo you can bundle with CPU for 49.99+tax.

For ram GSkill ripjaws are on sale for $35 for 8 gigs on newegg.

Last I checked Kingston hyperx 120gb ssd was on sale @ staples for $75. If you can score a 25 off 75 coupon you could get it for around $60. Also read the hyperx performs better than ssdnow.

Corsair cx430 can be had for $25-35 after rebate as they go back and forth between $10 and $20 rebates.

My current build with CPU, mobo, memory, ssd, case, PSU comes to $435 not including cost of OS, trackpad, wifi, video card, Bluetooth. With i3-3225, it comes to a whopping $370 (the new PovoMac?). If you don't game HD4000 should be ok and you can always add video card later if needed when a better price comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back