Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This is my first build ever of any type of computer. I bought all new parts for it and I cannot get the hardware to even turn on. I stripped it down to just the power supply, CPU, Motherboard, graphics card, and RAM. When I try to turn it on, it comes on for about a second, turns off, then repeats the cycle continuously until I unplug the power source. I have tried troubleshooting with a different video card and a different power supply, but the results have changed very little.

I already had the Motherboard replaced because I thought the first one was defective, but the results were still the same with the replacement.

Any suggestions?

CPU - Intel i7
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel
Video Card - EVGA 512-P3-1240-RX GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Power Supply - 500W came with the case I purchased

Is your ram properly installed? When installing ram you have to put a fair amount of pressure until it clicks into place - and the clips close back onto the top of the chip.

Ram is daisy-chained, so if even one DIMM (piece of ram) isn't seated properly the computer will continuously power cycle like that.

Check your ram and report back

might seem a silly question, but which i7 did you buy?
didnt buy an 1155 i7 by accident did you?

samisnake said:
might seem a silly question, but which i7 did you buy?
didnt buy an 1155 i7 by accident did you?

It don't think 1155 cpu would fit on a 1156 mobo. the pins are aligned differently.

i didnt mean the pins would align, i mean its an easy (for some, maybe?) mistake to order an 1155 cpu with an 1156 board.
i thought it might have been that he had fit the cpu into the wrong board, but turns out the notches are slightly higher on 1155 cpus

Double checked the RAM - clips were snapped on, so I don't think that's the problem.

I tried it with another video card - a Sparkle NVIDIA 9800 gpx plus 512 mb Ram ddr3. With this video card, the unit isn't power cycling, but there is no picture. It is not making it to post. This card works fine in another computer and so does my card. I'm thinking Intel made a bad i7 CPU - and the CPU is a i7-870 2.93 GHz LGA 1156.

Intel is saying I need to talk to Gigabyte to determine the BIOS version of the Motherboard. They are wanting FG6(?) BIOS version. I'm confused because the Motherboard that I bought was specifically for the i7 and FG6 is nearly 3 years old. I don't know enough about this language to know where to stand against Intel, but everything should be compatible - other people I have conversed with have gotten this configuration to work. I haven't even been able to reach the point of trying MacOS on it.

check psu first check voltages with multimeter.i have had bad gigabyte mobos with bad fan headers on board only use the cpu fan header for testing this happpend on ga z68ud3 1155 had same issue you do

Moved to correct forum,
Snow Leopard Installation -> 10.6 Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back