Contribute
Register

Triple Boot with Ubuntu, Win7, Mac - Linux drives try to mount in OS X, how to stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ML
CPU
i5
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My Hackintosh is triple booted and running smoothly. However, whenever I boot into OS X, it gives me a "this disk could not be initialized" error as it tries to mount the Linux drives. I know editing fstab will work, and I've done so successfully for the Win7 drives, but I'm having some difficulty doing the same with the Linux drives. The big problem is that the drives' UUIDs aren't being read in OS X, so I can't use fstab to prevent their mounting. Has anyone had any luck with this?

My Hackintosh is triple booted and running smoothly. However, whenever I boot into OS X, it gives me a "this disk could not be initialized" error as it tries to mount the Linux drives. I know editing fstab will work, and I've done so successfully for the Win7 drives, but I'm having some difficulty doing the same with the Linux drives. The big problem is that the drives' UUIDs aren't being read in OS X, so I can't use fstab to prevent their mounting. Has anyone had any luck with this?

One solution would be to create a small HFS+J partition on the drive. Then OS X will be able to mount it and will stop complaining.

One solution would be to create a small HFS+J partition on the drive. Then OS X will be able to mount it and will stop complaining.

I'll try that, but wouldn't it still complain about not being able to mount the Linux drive anyway?

I'll try that, but wouldn't it still complain about not being able to mount the Linux drive anyway?

No.. It will mount the HFS+J partition on the disk and be happy... It is only when there is a disk with no mountable partitions on it.

That did work, I no longer get the error. However, the partition doesn't have a UUID, and I can't figure out how to prevent it from mounting otherwise. Thoughts?

That did work, I no longer get the error. However, the partition doesn't have a UUID, and I can't figure out how to prevent it from mounting otherwise. Thoughts?

It never bothered me that such volumes mount, so I've never looked into it. I mean you can remove it from the Finder sidebar if you don't want to see, so what's the big deal?

It never bothered me that such volumes mount, so I've never looked into it. I mean you can remove it from the Finder sidebar if you don't want to see, so what's the big deal?

Fair point, I guess - aesthetics, mostly. The idea (in my head, anyway) was that whenever you log into each OS, you only see drives related to that system, rather than the real "mess" going on behind the scenes. I also have a network server that shares files, among other things, to everything.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back