Contribute
Register

Triple-Boot w/ Lion, Ubuntu and Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.
i installed to the /boot partition and it worked! thanks again for the help

Ok. I have all 3 of my HD's installed on my Hackintosh.

To do some Windows 7 Insanity, apparently the 750GB drive had the bootloader for the windows that was on my 1.5TB windows drive... result?

No windows on the old machine.

I am running into a bit of weird problem though. I undestand why Winsows won't see the Mac drive and partitions, but why doesn't the mac show my NTFS drives?

It's like they aren't even there.

I was hoping to be able to access my NTFS drives under OS X. They don't even show up in Disk Utility.

BUMP

Sorry to repost on old topic, but found this through google and was looking to triple boot
os x, win 7, and Chrome linux, on separate SSD's using chimera and os x as default boot. Just wondering on the main issues people normally run into, as a heads up, looked around but couldn't find much online about the boot process for separate drives just partitioned drives. Earlier posts helped clear some things up just wondering after install of os to each drive should i be presented with a "neutral" bios screen in the beginning that lets me pick an icon to boot to or am i gonna have to load os x fully then restart to my wanted drive each time, also should chimera be loaded into each os or just the main and it should read all three drives? Thanks in advance

Cote_623 said:
BUMP

Sorry to repost on old topic, but found this through google and was looking to triple boot
os x, win 7, and Chrome linux, on separate SSD's using chimera and os x as default boot. Just wondering on the main issues people normally run into, as a heads up, looked around but couldn't find much online about the boot process for separate drives just partitioned drives. Earlier posts helped clear some things up just wondering after install of os to each drive should i be presented with a "neutral" bios screen in the beginning that lets me pick an icon to boot to or am i gonna have to load os x fully then restart to my wanted drive each time, also should chimera be loaded into each os or just the main and it should read all three drives? Thanks in advance

The "neutral boot screen" you're talking about is called a Bootloader, either in the form of the pretty Chimera or the utilitarian Grub2. Chimera won't recognize ChromeOS, so you'll have to get to it through Grub, either through chainloading (first picking what you want in Chimera, then deviating in Grub if you picked Grub) or one bootloader (in your case, Grub2). You'll have to install Grub2 on your own (using an Ubuntu LiveCD), but keep a spare Ubuntu LiveCD handy in case you need to edit settings.

For your usage I would recommend Grub2, the only downside being that when booting OS X you'll see hacker-type white text on a black background, with no sight of the Grey Apple Logo on lighter grey background.

Hacker text is fine its just on the bootloader right? so if I understand correctly after os install download grub2 for each os and for chrome use ubuntulive cd to download grub or is that to adjust the settings of the boot on chrome

Cote_623 said:
Hacker text is fine its just on the bootloader right? so if I understand correctly after os install download grub2 for each os and for chrome use ubuntulive cd to download grub or is that to adjust the settings of the boot on chrome

You have 3 SSDs, aptly named SSD0, SSD1, and SSD2.

SSD0: 1 partition, OS X
SSD1: 1 partition, Windows
SSD2: 2 partitions, Grub2 and ChromeOS

Have an isolated install for each, so unplug SSD1 and SSD2 and install OS X. Same for SSD1, but SSD2 will be different. Do this for SSD2:

1. Unplug the other SSDs/Drives
2. Boot using Ubuntu LiveCD and partition the drive into two partitions. The first is to be 200MB in size and format it as EXT4. This'll be your Grub2 partition. The second will be the remaining space in the drive and format that as FAT32.
3. Use the attached guide to install Grub2 to your 200MB partition.
http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repairres ... u-live-cd/
4. Install ChromeOS to the FAT32 partition.
5. If step 4 fails, go back to step 2 and this time format the ChromeOS partition as EXT3. If it worked, then skip this.
6. Attach all drives, set the ChromeOS drive as the first to boot.

Perfect ok I got it now hopefully when it all comes in I should have no problems thanks again for everything

You have 3 SSDs, aptly named SSD0, SSD1, and SSD2.

SSD0: 1 partition, OS X
SSD1: 1 partition, Windows
SSD2: 2 partitions, Grub2 and ChromeOS

Have an isolated install for each, so unplug SSD1 and SSD2 and install OS X. Same for SSD1, but SSD2 will be different. Do this for SSD2:

1. Unplug the other SSDs/Drives
2. Boot using Ubuntu LiveCD and partition the drive into two partitions. The first is to be 200MB in size and format it as EXT4. This'll be your Grub2 partition. The second will be the remaining space in the drive and format that as FAT32.
3. Use the attached guide to install Grub2 to your 200MB partition.
http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repairres ... u-live-cd/
4. Install ChromeOS to the FAT32 partition.
5. If step 4 fails, go back to step 2 and this time format the ChromeOS partition as EXT3. If it worked, then skip this.
6. Attach all drives, set the ChromeOS drive as the first to boot.

sorry to bump an old thread again.

I assume that I can insert Ubuntu Linux instead of ChromeOS?

I am familiar with grub and what it sounds like that would be the easiest way to select my OS initially instead of going from chimera to grub?

So in this instance I would want to have my linux drive as sd0?

thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back