Graphics
HD4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have previously tried in failure to get an old PC up and running on OS X. It is based on a Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 motherboard with an Intel Core i3 processor installed and an HD6670 graphics card.

When Apple used this processor they used a different graphics series and I was well aware of the problems with the HD6xxx series card. At the time, Apple hadn't supported the Intel graphics of the 1st Gen i3 processor. As such, I wasn't too surprised at my failures.

Last month I took a spare drive and installed it into my new PC based on an i7 4770K on a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H. I installed ML and then upgraded to Mavericks. Once happy with processor I unplugged the drive and performed the Mavericks upgrade on the production disk.

This spare drive went back into my old PC where I tried once more to get UniBeast to work with it, but all was failure. I then ignored theis disk and old PC until a couple of days ago. I turned it on, forgot that the disk had Mavericks installed and connected as the boot drive, and to my surprise I came to a Mavericks login screen. I could not log in because the wired KBM didn't work, suggesting DSDT. :mrgreen:

I'm now thinking of doing the following:

Put this disk back in the new PC, run MultiBeast, have it install the DSDT for the old PC, and then transplanting it back into the old PC and see if I can then log into it. Anyone done one of these transplant maneuvers?

BTW, this is analogous to taking a Windows 9x install disk, going into Device manager and deleting all the drivers, powering down, transplanting said disk into another PC and booting up for Windows 9x to discover the new hardware. I had done that before (years ago), but this will be the first I've tried it with OS X.

It worked!

I went through a clean 10.8-->10.9 install using my GA-Z87X-UD4H PC as a surrogate system. I then ran MultiBeast and installed the DSDT for the target PC (GA-H55-USB3). Once done I shutdown, transplanted and booted successfully and got wired keyboard and mouse to login.

So I guess you can use a transplanted method to get a PC up an running if trying it natively fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back