Contribute
Register

TP-Link PCI Express Wifi slow, disconnects, stops working - HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the inter workings of OS X (long story). However, I'm not surprised you're having problems with the Express as I've gone through several for my printers, for my audio/video receiver and as a travel router; they just stopped working.

Let's see if it's a bad TP-Link. Do you have a friend who can test the card in his system in his wireless environment? (He's probably a Windows guy, but it's test point.) This is probably the cheapest test you can do soonest. Take the Express with you, too.

If the TP-Link card works OK in his environment, see if you can test the Express in there with his wireless devices. (Bring food & drink with you to sweeten his desire to help you.)

If both, work in your friend's environment, then, (I hate this) I recommend you do a fresh install.

In the meantime, I'll try to shake the bushes among the moderators to see if they can help.

Thanks for the input Stork.

a) possible bad tp-link: always possible. But with so many other similar experiences I tend to think the card is working properly

b) concerning a fresh install: for a variety of reasons I did 7 or 8 fresh installs when setting this up. I was experimenting with different settings and install methods. One of the consistent outcomes was the flaky wifi. Makes me think a fresh install would not make a difference.

Blxy - what router are you using?

Our wifi logs are very similar as are the connectivity issues.

Same problem - same card:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/95290-wi-fi-drops-out-constantly-tp-link-tl-wdn4800-10-8-3-a.html

Code:
From Apple Discussions:
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande] ... went through a time where it would intermittently disconnect from the wireless and I could just turn the airport off and on and it would work again. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]The solution:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Turn off the airport[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]In Advanced - remove all networks[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Hit apply[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Log into your router[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Disable it from broadcasting the SSID[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Apply Router settings[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Back to the macbook[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Turn Airport on[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Create a new network[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Choose CLOSED (Hidden) NETWORK[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]manually type in the SSID and the encryption[/FONT][/COLOR]

Several suggested fixes for Mavericks wi-fi issues:
http://howtoapple.com/mavericks-wifi-issues-fix/

Good tip on the Wireless Diagnostics.app. Didn't know it existed. I'm just letting it run.

Here's a free utility which can see the what channels other wifi devices in your neighborhood
use (to check for channel conflicts). http://kismac-ng.org KisMAC is a free, open source wireless stumbling and security tool for Mac OS X.

EDIT: After 10 min the Wireless Diagnostics on the Hackintosh detected a dropped connection and reported: Conflicting Country Codes and WAN Connectivity Failure.
And simultaneously my MBP reported: Poor Wireless Environment - significant amount of wireless interference.

(more complications
o_O)
EDIT: I set my Airport Express to only use 5 Ghz and it now reports data rate 180 Mb/s - 120 Mb/s. Speedtest just showed download at 35 Mbps. If it stays connected I'll let you know. I'm leaving Wireless Diagnostics running.

Did you fixed your problem, yet?

Hey all, I too have the WDN4800 and have been having similar problems. My router is a BT Home Hub 3 and last year in July my wifi was working absolutely fine to my recollection and then I moved away for uni. A couple weeks ago, after using my hackintosh for the first time since last year this problem began occurring. I THINK I may have managed to fix it now as it seems to be okay and downloaded the OS X (5 odd GB) from the app store without stopping or failing. Yesterday I disabled Extended UPnP Security in my router settings as I had read somewhere that it helped someone with airplay issues (A different problem i'm having with my iPhone and airplay speaker) as well as switching the channel from auto to channel 1. Also I installed a new CPU cooler today and whilst I had my case open removed my wireless card for a minute or so then put it back and rebooted. Upon rebooting, the wifi has seemed okay (roughly 3 hours) and as mentioned before even downloaded OS X without failing. Now i'm not sure which of these helped fix the problem or whether it could've even been something else entirely but knowing how frustrating it was when my hack had this issue I thought i'd share this in case it can help anybody else!
Zain :)

Did you fixed your problem, yet?

Yes and No...

No... because the connection is a little better from changing channels but continues to be unstable and inconsistent.

Yes… because I switched to using an ethernet cable…

The tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide says the TL-WDN4800 is "based on our research ... the easiest and best supported options".

Based on my experience (and similar posts) I would say the
TL-WDN4800 is neither easy nor best supported and tonymacx86 should do some up-to-date research.

I have a netgear router and have tried a lot of things. I have increased my speed to between 6 an 9 mB/s according to speediest.net however I am suffering from stabilities issues. The wifi indicator will say I am connected but I get no data on the signal. Turning off the wifi and turning it back on again fixes the issue but isn't feasible for online gameplay.

Disabling the UPnp setting on the router seemed to be what made the speed increase.

My card also has the unknown region error and I can't help but wonder if this isn't part of the stability issue.

If anyone has other Ideas as to how to fix the stability please speak up.

I agree, this should not be a recommended card.

I can't even get it to find the 5ghz wavelength. Though admittedly I might be out of range. I am getting a wireless booster tomorrow.

Just to add my two cents.

I am also using the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 as my adaptor. My router is the Verizon FIFOs MI424WEI router. The channel selection is on Auto and it seems to swap between channel 6 and 11. There are 4 other WiFi networks near me, all in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

I have similar stability problems, especially after waking from sleep. More than 50% of the time I have to switch the WiFi ON/OFF or run the Network diagnostics to get the Internet connection to return. The WiFi remains on, but I have lost the internet connection. I have not tried to see other devices on my network during this time. Should try that experiment sometime.

Sometimes the WiFi is stable, but frequently it is not.

Just my two cents. I have replaced the connection with a wired Enet and during that week had not stability problems. Current wife didn't like tripping over the cable back to the router so I had to remove it eventually.

I'm on 10.9.4.

Just my 2c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back