Contribute
Register

tonymacx86 Build - GA-P55M-UD2 - Core i5-750 - 9400 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: tonymacx86 Build - GA-P55M-UD2 - Core i5-750 - 8800 GT

Okay looks like the problem may have been my trying to use the HDMI output of the 9800 GT. Switched to VGA and it is sort of working. When I try to switch my resolution the screen turns blue and the desktop never returns. Computer still responds to the power key on my keyboard so I can hit hit power then r to restart.

Seems to be having a lot of little issues but I will go ahead and move to the correct forums for that stuff.

ugh... I love how these threads die, right as the "black screen" problem is mentioned. I'll bump this one for good measure, since I'm getting black screen :)

ryan.kruger said:
ugh... I love how these threads die, right as the "black screen" problem is mentioned. I'll bump this one for good measure, since I'm getting black screen :)

What do you want? What have you tried? Give us as much info as you can and someone will try and help. This thread has been inactive for a long time...if you look at the first post most of us have had the UD2 running for a long time.

Hi Tony, I was wondering if you're still using this machine, and if you've made the leap running Lion. I'm running a pretty similar build with 10.7.2 on a Core2Duo (3ghz), 8800 GT, on a P5k Deluxe. I'm happy with stability + sleep, sound, etc, but my video performance has been pretty poor. Unable to play things like TF2, SC2 in 10.7.2 where the same games under Vista run very good.

Perhaps messing with the Apple Graphics Power Management (AGPM) info.plist and editing the Vendor10dev key under the Mac Pro 3,1 string to the corresponding hardware ID of the 8800GT?

Aside from that I don't have any other idears. Advice appreciated. Thanks for the great site.

Hello Tony
I've just scored a hardly used P55M-UD2 (rev 1.0) for a great price.

I'm gonna use it as an office puter and also make use of an i5 650 I've had for a while.

Did you get the audio working with just the ACL8**HDA and a DSDT edit alone edit or did you also have to use the HDA887/888b kext?

Cheers

plexi, I've got my -UD2 now working as a HacHTPC running Lion. However, I've still kept my original build description active. It should help you get your arms around installing Snow Leopard. This post is a reminder that I should update it since I'm running Lion on the HacHTPC. You can get to my original GA-P55M-UD2 by going to my HacHTPC in my signature block where I have a link to it in the HacHTPC build description.

Thanks Stork

At the moment I've used the P55M-UD2 (Rev 1.0) to replace my olde 73PVM-S2H so I'm using the two drives that were in that machine.

There is Snow Leopard, Win7 32, Lion and Win 7 64 running on it at the moment on two drives.
I've extracted and patched the DSDT and got everything working right.
MacPro 5.1 SmBios.

The only thing that bugs me a little is the audio codec which is the 888b and I have to use the non DSDT 887/888b kext to get it to show up.
It's not showing up from using an 888b DSDT patch on it's own so I have an extra kext which I'd like to lose if possible.

My question to other P55M-UD2 users is, do you also have to use the 887/888b HDA Enabler kext?

I've not tried the DSDT from the TM86 database yet.

EDIT!
I think I've just found out the reason why from looking at the TM86 DSDT
Method DSM, layout ID is meant to say 0x77 0x03 0x00 0x00 :headbang:

I'm using an ASUS 8400GS with this machine and it's working fine.

Sleep and wake are working great with P and C states in the plist.

It surprises me that you mentioned that you had to remove that string to get sleep and wake working on yours!

Cheers

I used the tonymacx86 GA-P55M-UD2 F11 DSDT from the DSDT Database. MacMan told me the P & C states don't have any affect on the LGA 1156 systems, so why ask for trouble - I deleted them.

If sleep/wake-up works for you with your -UD2 configuration, then don't change it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :lol:

The only thing I'd recommend is that you go with the default MacPro3,1 as the 5,1 has cause problems with some configurations. The defaults works great.

As for Audio, tonymacx86 told me that the DSDT Database DSDT in combination with MultiBeast with make audio work. I'm thinking you need to use the Database DSDT.aml.

That makes sense that speedstep doesn't have any effect in 1156 systems.
I never really had any joy with MSR Tools in 32 bit mode on either of my other two P55's.

I may wind up deleting that string as well?

I think I've now got the DSDT for the P55M-UD2 completely sorted.
I extracted the vanilla using Windoze.
The compiler now shows only 5 optimizations and zero errors.
(The database one shows 21 left to do and an error)
The only thing that was foxing me was the onboard audio codec which I'd never come across before and what I had for it turned out to be just three digits out.
I'll find out tomorrow when I try it out.

UPDATE!
Works like a charm!

Thanks again

I think it's performing pretty well stock clock!

Attachments

• P55M-UD2 i7 860.png
    P55M-UD2 i7 860.png
    701 KB · Views: 420
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back