1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have the TP-Link Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter with 3 x 2dBi Antenna (TL-WDN4800) recommended by Tonymacx86. But, for some reason this card functions extremely slowly in Mountain Lion. I get download speeds of 1.5 Mbps with pings over 500 ms. On Windows 8 with the same card and everything I get over 18 Mbps with pings under 50 ms. :banghead: Can anyone provide advice of what to do to fix this large discrepancy?

And, no I can not plug into an ethernet port because there is not one available where my computer is located. Thanks!

It must be drivers issue. Did you install any kext or any kind of drivers?

Eithernet drivers shouldn't be a problem. Try running the build only with OSX HD.

Bump. I would really like to resolve this - I currently have to use Windows more than I would like due to slow OSX internet.

Sorry for the delay, disconnect the windows drive and keep OSX drive connected. See if that makes any difference.

That didn't fix the problem. The problem was there before I had installed Windows though. I'm considering just building my own Wifi card. Could I do this and use the Mac wifi card for ML and then just keep the other card for Windows?

GSUS969, Sorry mate, i have tired that wifi card and it works fantastic.

Before you invest on other wifi card try it on a different computer and see if you notice any difference. Because how do you know that the new card you are going to buy will not have the same issue?

You need to make sure that the issue is only with the wifi card not with your build before you buy a new wifi card.

If you have a spare hard drive do a fresh installation, try changing BIOS settings or upgrading it.

If you have already decided to buy a new card then you can buy the Atheros AR9280. This card is cheap and works OOB on mac. All you need is a 3.3V MiniPCI-E to PCI-E Wireless Adapter.

Your post got me to thinking that maybe it was something wrong with Mountain Lion. So, I tethered with 4GLTE on my phone and that worked super fast. Which initially made me think it was the wireless router. I ruled that out eventually and messed with my settings in Network in System Preferences. I added a few DNS servers, renewed my DHCP a few times, deleted bypass proxy settings (not sure why there was anything there) and switched my MTU to 1453, then back to automatic (1500). And it's working perfectly. I don't really know which of these things solved it. But, it works so I'm happy. Thanks MiniITX for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back