Contribute
Register

Time Machine Backup and Recovery on a CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time Machine failed me terribly. It worked as desired for 14 months and then without notice I lost all but yesterday's data. Every day it would dump anything older than one day. rrrgggghhhh! I filed it away as a lesson learned and stopped using it at all. (That was on my MacPro 8-Core).

Now I create a CCC clone - which DOES boot in Chimera. That clone also allows me to "tinker" with OS changes and now I also have a way to fix any changes I make to my system. CCC is worth paying for!

I've been using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 to backup not just the OSX partition but the entire hard disk. I'm running Win 8 multiboot on the same SSD, so that makes more sense to me. It's been a life saver a couple of times already.

Article: Time Machine Backup and Recovery on a CustoMac

I can assure you that CCC copies your boot loader. I've used this method many times. Check your settings.

CCC does not copy the boot loader. You are either booting from your main hardrives boot loader then selecting your clone or you have installed your boot loader onto your cloned drive at some point?
If you take a freshly formatted harddrive Clone OSX onto it and then set that as the boot hardrive in your BIOS your system will NOT boot.

You are misleading people with this comment.

You are misleading people with this comment.

I totally agree, CCC and SuperDuper do _NOT_ copy the bootloader, you must be booting using the bootloader on the other drive or u have installed the bootloader on the clone at some point in time. If you run CCC and clone your main drive to the clone one when at some point in time u did have a bootloader on it (even if you have formatted the drive since) that bootloader is still there, its in the bootsector and does not go away with a simple format.

CCC was developed for real Macs not hacks and therefore were never made to copy such bootloaders as Macs do not use them. There is one way however CCC will copy it and that is if it does a block level clone and that's only possible if both drives can be unmounted meaning u did not boot to either drive.

Time Machine failed me terribly. It worked as desired for 14 months and then without notice I lost all but yesterday's data. Every day it would dump anything older than one day. rrrgggghhhh! I filed it away as a lesson learned and stopped using it at all. (That was on my MacPro 8-Core).

Now I create a CCC clone - which DOES boot in Chimera. That clone also allows me to "tinker" with OS changes and now I also have a way to fix any changes I make to my system. CCC is worth paying for!

-------------------------

After creating an OS x 10.8.3 clone on a 32Gb USB drive, I am still unable to boot of of it instead of the SSD. I use the 'ALT' key when booting with MB, but the system still boots off the SSD.

UPDATE: Installed Chameleon on the CC clone and now it is bootable.

UPDATE 2: CC clone USB flash drive would not boot on it's own after Chimera was installed on it.

Tnx

Ritey ..

Like I said, it does _not_ copy the bootloader. Simply download the Chimera standalone installer from our downloads and install it to the usb and it will then boot.

Time Machine has saved my bacon many times!! I tend to play around with things that I shouldn't from time to time, and up having to restore. But also, when your main HDD up and craps out on you (less than a year old), Time Machine truly shined! UniBeast on a USB stick and Time Machine on a second internal drive works great for me.

Same here - when my OCZ SSD died (brand new) just about a month after I setup my hackintosh over a year ago, and when its replacement (also OCZ) died about a week after I got it, both times I simply booted up with a Unibeast stick, then restored from my Time Machine backup. I also learned the lesson that though OCZ may ship lots and lots of SSDs at some of the best prices on the market at the time, I'll never buy another one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back