Graphics
EVGA GT 640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
My Hackintosh was working just fine. I had tested out Starcraft 2 for a couple of hours and everything was very responsive. Ready to shutdown the computer, I decided first to tidy up the cables for my little speaker and plug it into the port on the back of the computer rather than the front port. So I crawled underneath the desk and plugged in the cable and while doing so, I noticed that the power supply cable was underneath the computer. So, I tilted the computer sideways a few degrees to pull the cable out and the computer restarted. I was puzzled because I didn't do anything. I tilted the computer the few degrees to the floor and when I came out from underneath the desk, the computer was running with lights on and fans running, but my monitor wouldn't turn on. I tried the other VGA ports, tried switching to HDMI and DVI but still the monitor wouldn't turn on.

I plugged the monitor into my laptop and the monitor came on just fine, so I know the monitor isn't the issue. I inspected inside the case to see if anything was wrong, but there wasn't anything touching the motherboard, the fans were spinning, including the fan on the video card. I took out the motherboard and made sure it was screwed into the copper stand offs, which it was.

So, if the computer restarted because of some kind of short, I have no idea how it happened. Are there any tests I can do to identify what's defective? I guess it could be the motherboard, the video card or the power supply unit. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Well, installed a new video card and computer now recognizes monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back