EVGA GeForce GTX 680
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey All,

So my hack is up and running, but I've been having this particular issue for a while now, and was hoping to get some thoughts….

Here's my problem...my processor keeps starting out powerful when I first boot the computer, but plunges from approx 3.6ghz to around 1.7ghz or so in the first several minutes, therefore dropping my geekbench/cinebench scores as a result. It won't get me nearly the same benchmark results when I do the tests again, and will continue to stay around 1.7 ghz or so until I shutdown, wait a little while, and reboot.

I can watch the cpu clock drop in the BIOS, and even when I reboot the "About This Mac" will change from 3.6ghz when I first start up, to somewhere between 1.2 and 1.9ghz when I reboot or startup without waiting for several minutes after shutdown.

My guess of what causes this issue is something with the temperature, where I notice according to iStat the CPU temp is within the 50-60 degrees C range when I first boot, but increases to 86-90 degrees C. (It will increase even faster if I start using Geekbench right away) My cooler appears to be mounted right, and came with thermal compound already on it, should I try a different thermal compound?

I also want to note I have no interest in overclocking, but was hoping the CPU Turbo at 3.9ghz would work....

Here the specs of my entire build, which I based off the recommended LGA 2011 build from tonymacx86s site:
- Intel Core i7-3960X
- Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
- 32GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
- EVGA GeForce GTX 680
- SanDisk Extreme SATA 6Gb/s 120GB SSD
- Corsair Graphite 600T
- Corsair TX850
- Corsair H80 Cooler
- TL-WDN4800
- OSX ML 10.8.2

I hope someone out there can help me figure this out. :crazy: Thank you in advance! :thumbup:

The processor is slowing down to avoid cooking itself.

Off the top I would say that your cooler is not mounted correctly. You should be able to have temps =< 60° C at full tilt if you are not overclocked. Remove the pump/cold plate, completely clean the old thermal compound off of the processor and the pump/cold plate, re-apply a good thermal compound ( I like arctic silver 5 ) ( about 1/2 of a grain of rice's worth ) and re-seat the pump/cold plate. You might want to make a trial run or 2 of seating the plate after clean off but before re-application of thermal to be sure you have it down. Re-read the directions; watch some youtube videos for this cooler installation and try again. I have used these coolers and they work just fine.

Rx4Mac

Thank you for the reply, Rx4Mac! You've definitely helped confirm my suspicions...I will do exactly what you just explained and will report back later this week. :)

So I replaced the thermal compound with arctic silver 5, and made sure 100% that the cooler is on correctly and functioning properly. Still the same issue. I read somewhere else that it could be having certain cpu features enabled in the BIOS, such as speedstep. And since speedstep isn't working with LGA2011 hackintoshes (so I heard) that could be the issue. I'm going to try that out, but any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly welcome. Thanks all! :)

Well, I replaced the cooler entirely with a new H80 and everything seems to be okay....perhaps there was something wrong with the cooler itself? All is well now. Thanks again Rx4Mac!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back