Contribute
Register

The new Mac Pro of 2013, information and speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been said that the new mac Pro uses a totaly custom made Intel chipset so no x79 support is comming to OSX. Your best off just building a 1150 Haswell system.

Can you provide a link to this information? I just ordered a 6 core and Asus Rampage x79 which will arrive tomorrow. It will really suck if I build this thing and it won't work with Mavericks.

Can you provide a link to this information? I just ordered a 6 core and Asus Rampage x79 which will arrive tomorrow. It will really suck if I build this thing and it won't work with Mavericks.

The C60x server chipset can support up to PCI-E 3.0. Some feel that Intel has created a new proprietary
chipset just for the 2013 MP. Even if that is the case it doesn't mean that you won't be able to get Mavericks running on an X79 motherboard.

The X79S-UP5-wifi in the buyers guide does not use the X79 chipset even though it's in the model name. It actually has the C606 chipset which has full support for Xeons. That's why it's a great choice. You can use the 4930K if you want to overclock or give full Xeon support if you want to use it more like a server.

Once there is support for the New Mac Pro (Ivy-E support) in Mavericks, an X79 socket 2011 build will likely be as easy as a Z87 socket 1150 is right now. It's now less than two short months away !

Talk about timing! NICE! Great news, thank you for posting (all) this. :thumbup:

Talk about timing! NICE! Great news, thank you for posting (all) this. :thumbup:

Certainly exciting times for everyone that's already got a socket 2011 build or is planning one.
Personally I'm waiting to see what Apple does in December. Could possibly be better support for X79
once we get the Mavericks updates for the N.M.P. Nothing is written in stone though and I always
like to take the patient/ cautious approach to new builds. Besides, my Z68 CustoMac build which I've
updated to Mavericks is running beautifully, couldn't be happier with it.

Looking forward to seeing some of your user build notes with the Asus X79 Deluxe + 4930K :!:

I don't know why you people think there will magically be full support for x79 becasue there will not be. You can use x79 if u chose but with many limits as there is NO chipset support at all for any of the x79 line including C60x chipsets in any version of OSX.

I don't know why you people think there will magically be full support for x79 becasue there will not be. You can use x79 if u chose but with many limits as there is NO chipset support at all for any of the x79 line including C60x chipsets in any version of OSX.

perhaps there will be for X99 said to come out June/July/or Aug 2014? can only hope. 8 cores instead of 6, NICE! Imagine an X99 8 core with USB3.1. Sick.

Wellsburg Chipset
With Haswell-E, Intel will introduce their new Wellsburg family of motherboard chipsets. The biggest new feature (and it’s really big) is the support for DDR4 RAM clocked up to 2133 MHz (of course, you can overclock and take it much further than that). The Wellsburg X-PCH will support a number of connectivity options:

• Up to 6 x USB 3.0 ports
  • Up to 8 x USB 2.0 ports
  • Up to 10 x SATA 6 Gbps ports
  • Integrated Clock support
  • TDP of 6.5W
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_haswell_e_has_8_coresx99_chipsetddr4_memory.html

There are no plans for any Xeon 2011 chipset with TB support so what makes you think x99 will work? Apple doesn't add support for stuff they don't use. Like I said, the new Mac Pro is a totally custom chipset made just for Apple so good luck finding a mobo with it. Also if u didn't notice, the custom Apple chipset also supports quad channel ECC ram, do u see and 2011 chipsets that support that?

That C606 chipset only supports 8 PCIe lanes so not sure what good it is as a GFX card would swallow that leaving none for anything else.

Also to note, the 4 channel memory support on the GA mobo is Core i only not Xeon. Remember the memory controller is in the CPU now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back