Contribute
Register

The EZ 8000 - Core 2 Duo E8400 - Affordable CustoMac Media Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's me again! I find out that my CPU reaches near 100% of usage as soon as I launch any web browsers, watching videos and stuff. With 3 tabs opened in chrome, my system slows down and is less responsive. For example I refresh a page on any browser, the CPU usage as well as the temperature of my CPU suddenly rise to nearly the limit and then drop as fast as it starts.

I have never seen a system that uses nearly all the CPU for common tasks like web browsing. I suppose I had the same problem with Yosemite but as Mavericks is lighter, it runs a bit better. I have no noticeable services running in background. My CPU is Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz. I have another mavericks hackintosh and I've checked CPU activity with exactly the same apps and I have a constant 2 to 3%.

Anyone having the same issue? Any clue of what the problem is?

Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
It's me again! I find out that my CPU reaches near 100% of usage as soon as I launch any web browsers, watching videos and stuff. With 3 tabs opened in chrome, my system slows down and is less responsive. For example I refresh a page on any browser, the CPU usage as well as the temperature of my CPU suddenly rise to nearly the limit and then drop as fast as it starts.

I have never seen a system that uses nearly all the CPU for common tasks like web browsing. I suppose I had the same problem with Yosemite but as Mavericks is lighter, it runs a bit better. I have no noticeable services running in background. My CPU is Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz. I have another mavericks hackintosh and I've checked CPU activity with exactly the same apps and I have a constant 2 to 3%.

Anyone having the same issue? Any clue of what the problem is?

Thanks for reading. :)
I haven't seen the same effect in any E8400 Elite 8000. Those have 6MB of L2 cache and run at 3.0 GHz so the CPU should not be maxed out continuously with what you are doing. Try to look at everything that is going on in activity monitor. You may also want to reapply new thermal paste and reseat the heatsink. I'm pretty sure that these never had that done by the refurbishers.

I've checked my activity monitor vigorously during 1 week and I don't see any suspicious activities. I have even removed Flash but it was pointless. :lol:
I'm going to try to reapply new thermal paste and reseat the heatsink and I'll tell you if there's any improvements.

As always, thanks for answering so fast tsr96 :^)

I've checked my activity monitor vigorously during 1 week and I don't see any suspicious activities. I have even removed Flash but it was pointless. :lol:
I'm going to try to reapply new thermal paste and reseat the heatsink and I'll tell you if there's any improvements.

As always, thanks for answering so fast tsr96 :^)
If you do have a defective chip you could replace it with another E8400, they don't cost much on Ebay or get a used Core 2 Quad to replace it. 4 cores instead of two should handle most everything that you need to do. You might also upgrade the ram if you only have 2 or 4GB installed. 8GB would be a good amount for general use.

If you do have a defective chip you could replace it with another E8400, they don't cost much on Ebay or get a used Core 2 Quad to replace it. 4 cores instead of two should handle most everything that you need to do. You might also upgrade the ram if you only have 2 or 4GB installed. 8GB would be a good amount for general use.

I can just use any Core 2 quad? And it seems quite hard to replace, I'm afraid to break something ahah
Another question, do you know any cheap wi-fi usb dongle for this build?
Thanks

I can just use any Core 2 quad? And it seems quite hard to replace, I'm afraid to break something ahah
Thanks

Recommend looking on the CPU Support list.

Thanks
The two most often used are the C2Q Q8400 and the Q9500/9505 I'm certain that both of those will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...cket-775-CPU-Processor-1333-Mhz-/271881023754

For a Wifi dongle anything that's Mac compatible and has drivers for the version of OS X you have. The TP Link WN725N has a beta El Capitan driver that you could use if you're going that route.

The two most often used are the C2Q Q8400 and the Q9500/9505 I'm certain that both of those will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...cket-775-CPU-Processor-1333-Mhz-/271881023754

For a Wifi dongle anything that's Mac compatible and has drivers for the version of OS X you have. The TP Link WN725N has a beta El Capitan driver that you could use if you're going that route.

Too bad I've just bought a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 just a second before reading your message. :mrgreen:
But it seems like it works well, I 've seen videos on youtube.

Thanks for the advice

Hello I have an HP Elite 8200 SFF hackintosh. It is very similar to the Elite 8000.
These are my specs:

Intel Pentium G850
8GB of Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3
EVGA Geforce 210 1GB DDR3
80GB HDD (will replace with an SSD)
OS X El Capitan: 10.11.5

Everything works fine besides Sleep and Wake and FaceTime and iMessage. How do you possibly get sleep and wake to work? Sleep works for only 2 seconds before turning back on. Also how did you get iMessage working? I tried all the guides including the Idiot's one. It still doesn't seem to work. I am using Mac Pro 3,1 system definition btw.

Hello I have an HP Elite 8200 SFF hackintosh. It is very similar to the Elite 8000.
These are my specs:

Intel Pentium G850
8GB of Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3
EVGA Geforce 210 1GB DDR3
80GB HDD (will replace with an SSD)
OS X El Capitan: 10.11.5

Everything works fine besides Sleep and Wake and FaceTime and iMessage. How do you possibly get sleep and wake to work? Sleep works for only 2 seconds before turning back on. Also how did you get iMessage working? I tried all the guides including the Idiot's one. It still doesn't seem to work. I am using Mac Pro 3,1 system definition btw.
In my EZ 8000 guide the suggestion is to completely disable sleep as wake from sleep doesn't work. Once you've got an SSD it will boot up so fast you won't need to sleep it anyway. AFA iMessage is concerned I never attempted that as I didn't own this PC-Mac long enough to try out things like that. Interesting to hear that your Pentium CPU worked. Getting PM working would be a real challenge as Apple doesn't put Pentium CPUs in any Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back