Contribute
Register

The Actual Cost of the Maxed out New Mac Pro (complete system)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Just put these in a cart today at Apple.com. For the state I live in the sales tax alone
would be 590 dollars. So here it is, the actual numbers of the MOMP (maxed out Mac Pro)

TRS 2013-12-19 at 7.23.57 AM.jpg

Click on this to enlarge.

Would you spend this much for this build ?? One way to lower the cost and still get the same amount
or ram and storage would be to buy the ram and a pci-e SSD from a third party vendor. Take a look
at a site like OWC if you're interested in saving some on the MOMP.

It's cheap!

Not sure about the old numbers but I belive the old one cost ~ $16+k. This little thing weighs nothing and has more power behind it.

You guys in the US also have it good since Apple charges us Europeans more. In Germany a maxed out Mac Pro cost almost 11k € (same config that you have incl. Apple Care) thats around $15k. So yeah... don't complain.

Besides if you really need it you will have the cost back with 2-3 projects.

It's cheap!

Besides if you really need it you will have the cost back with 2-3 projects.

That's certainly true for video Pros that make their living using FCP X for post production.
It's the best you can buy at the moment and Apple deserves the price they are asking.

For the average TMX86 member though it's what we call champagne taste on a beer budget.
Part of the reason for the success of this site is that you can build your own machine that
works really well at about 1/2 the cost of the Gen. 2 Mac Pro. That way anyone with a modest
budget can benefit from using OS X. A win-win situation. :)

According to this article by ExtremeTech the $9,600 Mac Pro is a real bargain.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...s-2000-cheaper-than-the-equivalent-windows-pc
That ExtremeTech article (or rather, the Futurelook one it's based on) is entirely wrong. Just for starters, the D700s are in no way equivalent to the W9000. They are massively underclocked, don't have ECC, and don't have the same level of driver or software support. There are also little matters like if you want extra hard drives (that'll be at least a $600 premium on the new MP right now), or how the GPU situation will change in the next few months as Nvidia and AMD's 20nm stuff ships.

Of course, the comments in those articles are full of trash too criticizing for all the wrong reasons, and the new MP does have some neat engineering.

That ExtremeTech article (or rather, the Futurelook one it's based on) is entirely wrong. Just for starters, the D700s are in no way equivalent to the W9000. They are massively underclocked, don't have ECC, and don't have the same level of driver or software support. There are also little matters like if you want extra hard drives (that'll be at least a $600 premium on the new MP right now), or how the GPU situation will change in the next few months as Nvidia and AMD's 20nm stuff ships.

Of course, the comments in those articles are full of trash too criticizing for all the wrong reasons, and the new MP does have some neat engineering.

Even taking all of that into account and a lot more as well, the new Mac Pro has been praised by people who have actually used it in anger. It has been a long time since we have seen that happen for any desktop computer. That is actually very inspiring, especially when people are working with video encoding. The new Mac Pro has raised the bar. To those that think it is a trash can, buy x79 and pretend to yourself it is as good - you can only fool yourself.

Adrian B

The old saying "there are two sides to every coin" and "the whole is more than the sum of it's parts"
both apply in this scenario. One major flaw in the Extremetech article is the premise that you can simply calculate the retail cost of hardware to make a build comparable to the Mac Pro and then determine what the best choice would be. It certainly took many hours, days and years to come up with the MP design and then to build and test it. Apple made a huge investment in these areas and I really doubt that any of that is factored into the final cost of the new MP. What really pays for those enormous costs is the sale of high profit margin iPhones and iPads. The two products that have helped Apple become the biggest market cap company on the planet. When you also factor in the costs of building it in the US with American workers it adds even more to the cost of bringing it to market.

I've looked at both options for a workstation class computer and I'll sum up what I've learned from many hours of research. If I was earning my living editing video using FCP X or even Premiere Pro I'd certainly spend the money on the New Mac Pro vs. building a CustoMac that was intended for the same uses.
In that scenario the choice is really a no brainer. For anyone in this situation with a budget for hardware
of $4,000 and up the 6 or 8 Core MP would be a great choice. What doesn't seem to get mentioned is that
after using it 2-3 years one could resell the MP for a fair sum of money and then use that to upgrade to a newer model then. Here's a hands on review from FCP.CO
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...th-apple-s-new-mac-pro-and-final-cut-pro-10-1

When you're looking at a situation where the budget is much smaller and it's not for pro video editing then the CustoMac approach seems to make a lot more sense. You can build a very capable machine that won't be limited to just external storage via Thunderbolt. You'll be able to work with 4K video and who knows, the talented members of this site are sure to eventually figure out sleep and power management for the socket 2011 X79 platform. So it all depends on each person's unique situation when choosing to go with a Mac Pro 2013 or a CustoMac Pro socket 2011.

The New Mac Pro is really revolutionary and will likely have many attempts to copy it in the next
five years or so. Everything new that falls into this category always creates a lot of controversy
and discussion which is a really good thing for Apple. If everyone was completely ignoring it then
Apple would have something to worry about. This 2nd Gen Mac Pro is going to do a lot of good things
for the entire desktop PC industry. I'm certainly giving Apple a thumbs up on this. :thumbup: :clap: A desktop that
you can actually place on your desk, what a great idea :!:

You're not going to believe what some very creative modder has done to make a Mac Pro
clone already. Check out this thread. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-mods/120757-mac-pro-late-2013-replica.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back