Contribute
Register

The 660 Ti Thread: Questions and Answers Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can get a 670 now, get a 670. There's some weird thing that the 670 just works vs the 660 Ti has a few quirks with waking up and FCPX (thelostswede will tell you otherwise ;). If you're gonna wait, then hopefully by the time you're ready for it, the problems will be ironed out.

Yeah I know (read all the 25 pages :) ), going to wait a bit, the 670s are a bit pricy in my country now. So, waiting will not hurt I think. Maybe there're updates in the way.

Yeah I know (read all the 25 pages :) ), going to wait a bit, the 670s are a bit pricy in my country now. So, waiting will not hurt I think. Maybe there're updates in the way.

Good for you, because to be honest I might've missed a page or two. You can definitely wait and hopefully the 660 Ti will have it's quirks worked out with a few updates and the 670 will drop in price

If you can get a 670 now, get a 670. There's some weird thing that the 670 just works vs the 660 Ti has a few quirks with waking up and FCPX (thelostswede will tell you otherwise ;). If you're gonna wait, then hopefully by the time you're ready for it, the problems will be ironed out.

The sleep issue only appears to relate to a few cards, as my Galaxy card doesn't have a problem with wake from sleep. FCPX I really couldn't say, as I haven't tested it so...

Hi! After reading lots of posts on tonymacx86 and about the Z77 motherboards with thunderbolt and cpus with HD4000 integrated graphics and also about compatibility I was going for the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH. Then I looked at the GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Intel X79 , I don't now if I'am wrong but its more future proof ram upgrade and powerfull cpus.

Well all that said, the options seemed to me that had a short life span, I would like some advice on this 660 Ti card, to connect to my thunderbolt display, I bought it for a quite good price a week ago. Yesterday I install mountain lion on my old build:
Asus p5e-WS Pro LGA 775
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5E_WS_Professional/
Intel Core 2 Quad, 2400 MHz Q6600
USB Bluetooth | TARGUS ACB20EU-22
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD 240GB 2,5" MKNSSDCR240GB-DX
Apple wireless keyboard (working OSx and Windows 7 with the targus USB BT)
Apple magic trackpad (working OSx)

In conclusion I have the Apple 27 thunderbolt display.
Not using it at the moment, need a display port card and an adaptor to minidisplay port to get only image to the thunderbolt display - If I am saying rubish please correct me. Thanks. I now that if I buy the card
it will work on the Dual PCIe 2.0 x 16 Graphics but maybe bottlenecked by this old mobo. Can you please tell me if the card will pass "video signal" to the thunderbolt display from the display port with the mini display port adapter. form factor being the same as thunderbolt and next year I will probably get a haswell cpu and do you think I could use the 660 Ti on the new build. Thanks and if I said some rubish, please bare with me. It was my first build, using old hardware.

Hi! After reading lots of posts on tonymacx86 and about the Z77 motherboards with thunderbolt and cpus with HD4000 integrated graphics and also about compatibility I was going for the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH. Then I looked at the GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Intel X79 , I don't now if I'am wrong but its more future proof ram upgrade and powerfull cpus.

Well all that said, the options seemed to me that had a short life span, I would like some advice on this 660 Ti card, to connect to my thunderbolt display, I bought it for a quite good price a week ago. Yesterday I install mountain lion on my old build:
Asus p5e-WS Pro LGA 775
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5E_WS_Professional/
Intel Core 2 Quad, 2400 MHz Q6600
USB Bluetooth | TARGUS ACB20EU-22
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD 240GB 2,5" MKNSSDCR240GB-DX
Apple wireless keyboard (working OSx and Windows 7 with the targus USB BT)
Apple magic trackpad (working OSx)

In conclusion I have the Apple 27 thunderbolt display.
Not using it at the moment, need a display port card and an adaptor to minidisplay port to get only image to the thunderbolt display - If I am saying rubish please correct me. Thanks. I now that if I buy the card
it will work on the Dual PCIe 2.0 x 16 Graphics but maybe bottlenecked by this old mobo. Can you please tell me if the card will pass "video signal" to the thunderbolt display from the display port with the mini display port adapter. form factor being the same as thunderbolt and next year I will probably get a haswell cpu and do you think I could use the 660 Ti on the new build. Thanks and if I said some rubish, please bare with me. It was my first build, using old hardware.

@thelostswede I knew you would say that ;). Your card will be able to work, but like you said it will be bottlenecked by your CPU. If you're using it in your next build then it should be fine

Again I thank you for the tip ElKanyeEast. Yes it makes sense, I saw the modular ones, they seem more pratical cable/management wise. Also with the 750W one, I will probably follow a buying tip. Better to buy once and pay a bit more than buy twice and pay quite more.
PSU option changed to, little diference in price when compared with the 750W and wanted to try a semi-modular PSU too:
Corsair TX850M 850W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139029

Thanks so much for the answer ElKanyeEast. I ordered a cx600 corsair today to use in my current build
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

It should be fine with this gpu?

Another member said:
PSU
Any good namebrand 400W-450W 80+ Bronze or better would be good if you do not plan on a discrete gfx card
Any good namebrand 500W-600W 80+ bronze or better would work if you want a discrete gfx card.

Thanks in advance.
thanks goes to thelostswede also for the correction.

Thanks so much for the answer ElKanyeEast. I ordered a cx600 corsair today to use in my current build

Another member said:
PSU
Any good namebrand 400W-450W 80+ Bronze or better would be good if you do not plan on a discrete gfx card
Any good namebrand 500W-600W 80+ bronze or better would work if you want a discrete gfx card.

Thanks in advance.

Your welcome. I'd recommend a modular power supply because it eliminates a lot of the clutter. The corsair TX750M is good, but as long as it's a reputable brand and modular, you should be fine

Again I thank you for the tip ElKanyeEast. Yes it makes sense, I saw the modular ones, they seem more pratical cable/management wise. Also with the 750W one, I will probably follow a buying tip. Better to buy once and pay a bit more than buy twice and pay quite more.

Another member said:
PSU

Thanks in advance.

More than plenty, Nvidia recommends 450W minimum, so I don't think you'll have any problems at all with a 600W unit. Whoever posted that other info is incorrect.

Sadly I've seen issues with sleep surface too. 3 or 4 times now the hack has failed to wake from sleep properly, in particular the graphics card doesn't seem to wake (i can often still ssh in). At least one of these occasions it was following automated sleep (schedule in energy saver prefs). Other times it was after a long sleep.

Developing a tendency no to sleep it at all now :(

Sadly I've seen issues with sleep surface too. 3 or 4 times now the hack has failed to wake from sleep properly, in particular the graphics card doesn't seem to wake (i can often still ssh in). At least one of these occasions it was following automated sleep (schedule in energy saver prefs). Other times it was after a long sleep.

Developing a tendency no to sleep it at all now :(

Yea it's hit and miss right now. I would recommend you read this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...d5h-i7-3770k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti.html because he has his 660 Ti up and running perfectly like thelostswede. I honestly can't remember, but I remember there being something about not letting your energy preferences set it or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back