Contribute
Register

Test Report: ASUS P8Z77-I Mini-ITX + 3570K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it help if people contacted Asus and asked if they could fix this little power management problem?

Going Bald said:
ajlowndes said:
I'm looking at this one closely too, to put together a Bitfenix Prodigy case-based setup (whenever that case finally ships). Let us know what issues you encounter!
The only issue I have with the board is the WiFi/BT card. Need a half mini PCIe card that has chips supported by OS X. So far I have found several WiFi only cards that would probably work OK and a couple of BT that would work, but no combo card. Waiting to see what kind of cards Apple puts in the new macs. Maybe there will be one with the new 802.11ac atheros chip + BT4.0 that will fit.

Otherwise board is great - with a Samsung 830 series SSD it is really fast. Use quiet boot and it only takes 6-8 seconds from power on to desktop. Click an app icon and it is running right now - no bouncing up and down in the dock at all (hate that BTW).

Hey there,

the Atheros 9285 (see this http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php ... bt#p404817 ) will work. It needs some patching but nothing that can't be repeated to fix it :D
It has wifi and BT.

Don't forget: it needs TWO antennas. TWO. Or you will fry the one you don't put an antenna loop on...!!!

I'm excited to get my installation going and made my first preliminary steps:

1. Made Unibeast installer with version 1.4 and a freshly downloaded copy of Lion from the App Store.
2. Added Bridge Helper 5.0, targeting my USB stick. I then followed the instructions for installing on Ivy Bridge: viewtopic.php?f=168&t=59052
3. I ran my initial install with the BIOS on optimized settings. I couldn't find an option for setting my RAM to Profile 1 for memory timing.
4. I booted to the Chimera screen and selected the USB installer.
5. After waiting a bit, the Apple screen changed from normal display to a 'zero with a line through it' overlayed on top of the Apple logo. I let it idle here for quite a while but never got further along on my installation.

So far, I'm stuck -- if anyone might know of a simple fix, I'll give it a go and report back. In the meantime, I'm going to read some more and see if I can find a solution...

You won't be able to install with integrated GPU i believe.

Ooops, should have mentioned that I have an EVGA 570 GTX in my case (also a PC-TU200)

Hmmm, can you give full list of your specs?

Sure, be glad to:

Lian Li PC-TU200 case
3570k i5 processor
P8z77-i Deluxe MB
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (fits this board perfectly BTW)
EVGA GTX 570 GPU
Silverstone 500w ST50F-P modular PSU
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer Cooling
240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
1.5TB Seagate HD (not hooked up yet)

Try setting your bios to ahci, enabling hpet and 64 bit and turning s3 to on. Especially ahci.

You might be running a different bios from the test report.

silkysmooth said:
Try setting your bios to ahci, enabling hpet and 64 bit and turning s3 to on. Especially ahci.

Thanks for the suggestions. I gave it a solid try, but still ran into the wall once again. As suggested I enabled the High Precision Even Timer (HPET) and by default the Intel sub-options Rapid Start Technology and Smart Connect were both disabled. I enabled the RST and then the default sub-option of 'Entry on S3 RTC Wake' was enabled too. I'm currently running BIOS 0501 x64, I believe this is the most current BIOS at the present time.

There are a lot of new terms for me here (I've never mucked about in a BIOS before), but I'm going to keep reading and keep testing until I find out! :geek:

silkysmooth said:
You won't be able to install with integrated GPU i believe.
Yes you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back